Duplicate codes for older tvs
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Duplicate codes for older tvs

by montag on Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:52 pm

I have found 2 older CRT tvs that will turn off and on with one cycle thru the codes.

I will make the IR reader that is posted elsewhere on this forum and get the codes but that will not be immediate.

Does anyone else have these issues? What TVs are the problem.

thanks

TV 1: Magnavox 20 or 21" "total remote" This baby is old.
montag

by adafruit on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:15 pm

http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_faq.php?#troubleshoot
according to mitch, some TVs respond to two codes...

adafruit

by maltman23 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:50 pm

One of the challenges of creating a database of POWER codes is that there are thousands and thousands of different codes out there, and hundreds and hundreds of different methods that manufacturers have come up for creating codes. And there's no advantage at all for manufacturers to coordinate their methods and codes (unlike ASCII, or RS-232, or other realms where standards are advantageous to most). As a result, there are many codes that are somewhat similar, but at the same time have minor differences. Some TVs respond to both of these similar codes, and some only respond to one or the other. There are also some codes that are very different from each other, but some TVs will respond to both, whereas some TVs only respond to one or the other. So, I had to leave both codes in the sequence.

I had to find this out by lots (LOTS) of field-testing -- but, fortunately, field-testing is lots of fun. :D

The thing to do is to point the TV-B-Gone remote away from the TV in question shortly after the TV turns off. I purposely put these codes a few seconds away from each other in the sequence for this purpose.

Mitch.

maltman23

by montag on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:27 pm

Mitch

I understand that there are no standards, not trying to make your creation look bad just intrested in where the odd behaviors lie. So far no biggie most TVs in the wild that I would want to use this on are not ancient. :shock: Both tvs that exibit this behaviour are old 12-15 years at least. Just beaters folks I know have for 2nd tvs. Don't have a TV myself hate the darn things.

I guess I have a real powerful Tv B Gone because i tried pointing away, putting my hand over the LEDs etc to no avail and this was like 40' from one of these old TVs.

I had to actually jump in a different room to not get it to see the second code.

Just having fun and wondering.
montag

by maltman23 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:42 pm

No offense taken at all. I'm glad you're having fun turning TVs off! The more they turn off, the more time and energy we have to live our lives. 8) Please keep up the good work. :P

Mitch.

maltman23

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.