Reprogramming Tv b gone with DASA AVR Programmer
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Reprogramming Tv b gone with DASA AVR Programmer

by seadog on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:08 am

Hello,
is it possible to reprogram tv-b-gone avr with a dasa avr programmer, more specific with the Serial SpokePOV Dongle? I always getting a "Probably the AVR MCU is not in the RESET state." error

thanks

seadog

by caitsith2 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:48 am

Actually, V1.0 of the TV-B-Gone kit has a design flaw in it. Basically, the MISO programming line, (which is the IR output), is pretty much pinned. A modification will be required, to V1.0 boards, if programming and verification of successful programming is desired.

In my case, I basically cut the traces of the MOSI line from the IR resistors, and wired a switch in place, that I can switch on, if using TV-B-Gone normally, or off, if I am programming it.

V1.1 of the board should have this issue fixed, by having a jumper hookup right next to the programming port.

If you instruct AVRdude, or whatever AVR programming tool you are using, to bypass the signature check or whatever, chances are, all of the programming commands are indeed getting through to the AVR, just the acknowledgement is all that is failing.

------ EDIT (Details of the modification to V1.0) -------

caitsith2

SOLVED

by seadog on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:37 pm

See solution with resistor here:
http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic ... ht=avrdude

thnx caitsith2

seadog

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.