Some questions
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Some questions

by dragonuv on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:31 pm

TV B Gone looks awesome! but I got some questions about it before I'll cosider it as my next purchase.
First, I see it has one button, while it says in the description it can turn off TV's and switch channels (correct me if im wrong).
Second, I would like to know if I have to point at the TV device with the TV B Gone before I can turn it off? or it just turns off tv's within range?
Third, for someone who doesnt know anything about electronics, can the manual help? (if there is a manual \ instructions in the kit).
and last, do i need special tools to assemble the device?

Thanks very much!
Dragonuv.
dragonuv

Re: Some questions

by adafruit on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:22 pm

dragonuv wrote:TV B Gone looks awesome! but I got some questions about it before I'll cosider it as my next purchase.
First, I see it has one button, while it says in the description it can turn off TV's and switch channels (correct me if im wrong).
Second, I would like to know if I have to point at the TV device with the TV B Gone before I can turn it off? or it just turns off tv's within range?
Third, for someone who doesnt know anything about electronics, can the manual help? (if there is a manual \ instructions in the kit).
and last, do i need special tools to assemble the device?

Thanks very much!
Dragonuv.

i believe all of your questions are addressed at http://www.ladyada.net/make/tvbgone

adafruit

Re: Some questions

by dragonuv on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:14 am

ladyada wrote:i believe all of your questions are addressed at http://www.ladyada.net/make/tvbgone

Thanks, i admit i probably missed it.
And i got another question, it says in the tools list i have to use a multimeter, to what part of the soldering do i have to use it? can i make the device without using the multimeter?

Thanks
dragonuv

by adafruit on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:48 am

it will be helpful, but is not necessary

adafruit

by maltman23 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:08 pm

If you think you'll be doing more with electronics hardware, a cheap multimeter comes in very handy for debugging your circuits when they don't work correctly when you first power them up (and that is quite common, even for very experienced hardware people).

The TV-B-Gone Kit is very simple to build (thanks to Ladyada's skill at designing kits that even total beginners can successfully complete), so you may find that it works perfectly when you first connect power. If your TV-B-Gone Kit doesn't work at first, the Kit's circuitry is simple enough that you can debug it without a multimeter (with the help of this user forum, if you like).

Mitch.

maltman23

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.