Is it easy to change firmware?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Is it easy to change firmware?

by Ofih on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:50 pm

I couldn't find an answer to this in the instructions or FAQ, before I order I would like to know this

How do I change the firmware? do I need any extra tools / cables or programs to do this. Or is everything already in the kit? I am from Europe so I would like to change the firmware with the european codes.

Looking forward to turn off some tv's :)
Ofih

by caitsith2 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:43 pm

First off, you will need a programmer.

You have 3 different choices for the programmer. http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=7

Next, a slight modification to the TV-B-Gone kit itself is in order. If you are going to be programming it more than once, then replace the 4 120 ohm resistors with 4 resistors of a higher resistance, somewhere in between 1K and 10K. This will greatly increase your success rate in programming. Otherwise, if only programming once, you can do that before you mount the 4 resistors. (so that the transistors/IR LEDs are not connected to the circuit yet.)
caitsith2

by maltman23 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:48 am

You get the most current through the IR emitters (and therefore the most range from your TV-B-Gone Kit) if the four resistors that go to the bases of the transistors are 47 ohms. The TV-B-Gone Kit will work if you use higher values, but the range will be somewhat reduced.

So, there's a tradeoff between programability and power out of the emitters.

What I have done is use 47 ohms on my TV-B-Gone Kit, and bought another blank TV-B-Gone PCB just for programming the micros.

maltman23

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.