Reprogram Kit v1.1

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vpapanik

Reprogram Kit v1.1

Post by vpapanik »

Hello all !

I just got my new kit and I wonder if it is possible to reprogram it with the European firmware after I have completed it (without having to remove the R1-R4 resistors). I have the PRESTO programmer.

Thanks a lot in advance !

vpapanik

Post by vpapanik »

No answer yet :( but I think that the following mod should do the trick anyway !

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

Here is a precompiled firmware, both NA/Asia, and Europe. http://www.BANNED.net/projects/tvbgo ... e_v1.1.zip

(The European firmware has 106 codes.)

The presto programmer definitely should be able to program that. (and if you have to remove the resistors, that mod is rather impressive.)

vpapanik

Post by vpapanik »

Thanks a lot for your help ! Tried to reprogram the microcontroller but it seems that its is locked for writing. I only managed to read the code, but cannot erase or write anything on it.

vpapanik

Post by vpapanik »

To help the situation, this is what I get while reading (successful) :

vpapanik

Post by vpapanik »

And here is the unsuccessful attempt to erase (or write to) the chip :

I have checked all the connections twice and they seem to be ok (otherwise I couldn't have read the chip anyway). Of course I removed all four resistors first.

caladan

Post by caladan »

This could be too low voltage, thou you have message that it is ok, or just a chip malfunction. This happens sometimes. If you can't erase it may mean that charge pump is damaged. Anyway, there's not much you can do in this case...

EDIT: But doesn't it say you need external power supply?

sebastian

Post by sebastian »

hi,

so if i understand this right now, it's actually impossible to reprogram a finished tv-b-gone (V1.1) without decreasing range (or resoldering resistors everytime)...!?

didn't yet succeed in reading nor writing with an AVRISP and PonyProg... :(
(I always get an error message, click ignore, and it successfully reads 8k of 0x00... :lol: writing random buffer does not change anything... ^^)
the IC on the programmer is not self-powered, using the voltage from the 10pin-connector; I also tried 4,5 V, but no changes... :?

so if the best thing would be to pull it out of the socket for external programming everytime, which pins of the connector need to be connected to which of the ATtiny85?! (the pinout in the datasheet was just more confusing than helpful... :lol: )

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

sebastian wrote:hi,

so if i understand this right now, it's actually impossible to reprogram a finished tv-b-gone (V1.1) without decreasing range (or resoldering resistors everytime)...!?
Thats exactly right. Version 1.0 was possible to reprogram, but not verify, without decreasing range or resoldering resistors. Version 1.1 doesn't even allow programming.
sebastian wrote:so if the best thing would be to pull it out of the socket for external programming everytime, which pins of the connector need to be connected to which of the ATtiny85?! (the pinout in the datasheet was just more confusing than helpful... :lol: )
Pin 1 - /RESET
Pin 2 - XTAL1
Pin 3 - XTAL2
Pin 4 - Gnd
Pin 5 - MOSI
Pin 6 - MISO
Pin 7 - SCK
Pin 8 - Vcc

sebastian

Post by sebastian »

...and for the 10pin-ISP-connector:

01 - MOSI //top right
02 - VCC //bottom right
03 - ?
04 - (GND?)
05 - /RESET
06 - GND
07 - SCK
08 - GND
09 - MISO
10 - GND

(found here)

so i'd just connect SCK, MISO, MOSI to the connector, VCC to an external power supply and /RESET to GND... !?

they used an additional capacitor and resistor here, however those look quite redundant to me... :mrgreen: should also work without... *g*

thanks so far :P

vpapanik

Post by vpapanik »

@BANNED : do you mean that the v1.1 circuit is wrong for in-circuit programming, or that they have protected the microcontroller for writing (so that I need to buy a new blank one) ?

Thanks !

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

The resistance that allows for the 150 ft range, unfortunately effectively blocks the required programming signals from making it to the microcontroller, which is why the resistors have to be removed, or you have to sacrifice range by using a higher resistance.

In the case of V1.1, both mosi and miso are effectively blocked off, with the resistors in place. V1.0 only had MISO blocked off, and therefore, programming without verification was possible on V1.0.

Even if the lockbits which prevent writing, and depending on settings, reading are set, a chip erase should completely erase the chip, and clear these bits in the process.

sebastian

Post by sebastian »

still getting error -24 ("device missing or unknown device") :(
when i click ignore, ponyprog freezes...

what about the remaining pins of the ISP-connector and the ATtiny85, can they just stay open, or should/may they be connected to GND or VCC or whatever?! (don't want to fry anything... :lol: )

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

The remaining pin on the 6 pin connector, really does have to be connected to Pin 1 of the AVR. (You can't just tie Pin 1 of AVR to GND, because if programming sequence fails, the reset pin does have to be pulsed, before it can try again. It will try at least 2 times to enter programming mode.)

sebastian

Post by sebastian »

that's pin 5 (on both 6 and 10-pin connectors) to /RESET ?!
already tried that, but no changes...

what about pin 3, is it actually connected to anything at all? on the tv-b-gone, it seems not...
but it's connected to one pin of the programmer's IC, so should i just pull it to gnd? :?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”