๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

Green LED only flashing once
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Green LED only flashing once

by DrRobb on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:23 pm

Just finished my kit and during the testing phase I didn't realize that the green LED was supposed to continue flashing throughout the cycle. My LED flashes once and quits.. Examining the LED through a digital camera confirms that the IR LEDS also only flash once.. Is this a bad flash on the preprogrammed chip or something else? Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction..
DrRobb

by adafruit on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:21 pm

do you have good alkaline batteries?

adafruit

Single Flash Only

by hopperomatic on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:30 am

I seem to be having the same problem... I think.

I get one green flash only when I hit the reset button. Checking the IR LEDs through a camera viewfinder confirms that they all flash only once, too.

Brand new batteries showing good strength on my MM.

Just to make sure, I've tried the device on 1/2 dozen U.S. TVs to no avail.
hopperomatic

by DrRobb on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:56 pm

Update..

Put in new fresh batteries.. The first set was unused but old.. They showed full voltage, but must have been weak under load.. New batteries worked perfectly..
DrRobb

by adafruit on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:30 pm

great, thanks for the note. the tvbgone needs a lot of power, and if the battery voltage dips, it will reset.
good to hear you got it working
hopper can you try the same thing?

adafruit

oops!

by hopperomatic on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:24 pm

My bad. One of my old batteries snuck into my new bulk battery purchase pile.

The problem was, in fact, fixed by putting in fresh batteries.

What's the max voltage I can send to the kit? I see you've OK'd 4.5V, but how about 5V?

I've read your arguments against using 9V over AA here:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/process.html
...but will I get more lifetime with the same footprint if I use a 9V with a 5V regulator (I have a bunch of these)? My dysfunctional AA combo was putting out 2.7V and it was resetting, so I'm inclined to go higher voltage accepting the inefficiencies that I'll get with a 9V and regulator, or is this more about mA output?

If I need to be schooled in electricity, please just send me a link instead of a reply :-)
hopperomatic

by adafruit on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:56 pm

5V is the max. you will still get a lot more life from AA's than 9V, even without a boost converter. for max life and max distance, use 3 high quality alkalines AAs!

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.