hack question for key-fob tvbgone

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Pappy

hack question for key-fob tvbgone

Post by Pappy »

seeking advice on how the keychain fob tvbgone could be modified to be switched on and stay on. If the momentary contact switch were replaced with onoff slide I fear the unit would keep reseting to the top of the list, as when you hold down the button now. Ideas?

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Are you talking about the official TV-B-Gone keychain, or the one designed here (by oPossum)? If it's the one designed here, then the firmware can be modified (that's what I did to mine, so it has a flip switch instead of a pushbutton)

Pappy

tvbgone mod, IrBlackSheep

Post by Pappy »

I was refering to the keychain "stock" unit. However whichever is easyist to get say 200 units, in a month. If it's a build, it's gotta be stealthy. It fact if I get some say in the design "heck I'm talking 200 units here" I should. The "switch" could be 2 contacts that placing the cover on closes the switch. No LED's other than the Ir, nothing to say the unit's on. That way even if it's discovered, before a NOC can retrieve it, it might just get thrown in the trash, dumpster diving anyone? This leads into my next question for the class, an Ir detector, that could verify the unit was functioning, AND after my crew IrBlackSheep, totally wacks the TV's at a particular place, we can then offer counter intel consulting, sell them the Ir dector and a roll of electricial tape for 1k. Hope this gets the wheels turning, yea after you shut off the first 100 TV's ya'll will probably reach the same conclusion I did, there's money in this...

If anyone has used their tvbgone as much as I have, misdirection, stelth and just good ole' spy is necessary to pull off a good tvbg mission.

One particular sports bar I hit, the manager was, ON ME, looking close at my cell phone, thinking this little pric is doing something.

If a unit was placed by a NOC under a table, and after the body block moved, then any poor dumb schmuck that happened to be standing near the device would get the beating, NOT ME.

Kapiech?

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Ha, I'd say your best bet would be to go for power rather than concealment. With the EHP version, I can get TVs off from across any size room facing the other direction.

Pappy

Ya but

Post by Pappy »

mag...

I hear ya but the first version of the EHP TvBg is a stealthy as a brick. I like what AchtBit did with his unit, replace the momentary switch with contacts that close when the case closes and stick this unit under a table and walk away and let the mayhem begin. My stinkin would be that, as the unit continued to cycle thru codes TV's would go on, then off, further stup-i-fying management.

Already PM'd AchtBit about doing some builds. Anyone else interested? Anyone got builds for an Ir detector to detect when someone is using a TvBg?

Pappy

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Yeah, I know it's pretty big, but when I use it, I keep it in my hoody pocket and it's bright enough to shine through. I wouldn't want to leave mine under a table where I wouldn't get it back.
As for detecting it, a simple phototransistor circuit will pick up infrared light, but it wouldn't know if it was a remote or just another source of IR light (I can't think of any... but you know)

Pappy

TvBg always on

Post by Pappy »

Mag and others

My primary focus here is strictly legit legal use of my units. My services would be contracted by the client(owner) and if a TvBg unit was confiscated and/or destroyed I'd cheerfully add it to the bill.

Tell me more about the Ir detector, this interests me. Other Ir sources aren't an issue. If a manager suspects foul(Ir) play, all they would have to do is have someone stand near the suspect with the detector pointing back, just as you describe using the TvBg and YOUR BUSTED.

IrBlackSheep

Pappy

jasonx

Re: TvBg always on

Post by jasonx »

Pappy wrote:My primary focus here is strictly legit legal use of my units
Pappy wrote:after my crew IrBlackSheep, totally wacks the TV's at a particular place, we can then offer counter intel consulting, sell them the Ir dector and a roll of electricial tape for 1k
To create a problem and then offer a solution to the problem you have presented in exchange for payment is immoral and no better than extortion

Pappy

Am I creating 'the problem'

Post by Pappy »

As with any open forum, there will be differnces of opinions. I welcome any and all comments, keeping it civil of course. I don't believe I have created 'the problem'. The issue here is Ir security. Not as wide spread as WiFi, but growing. There are programs to make and Ir phone a remote. TvBg is just a slicker version. By using TvBg's to expose / demonstrate weakness in Ir security and advising / selling products to strengthen Ir and general electronic secirity, isn't extorsion it"s just business(IMHO). Is anti-virus, anti-spyware, extorsion? Does selling OS and application software give billy an advantage, heck yes, extorsion probably, proveable, NO! Welcome to America.

lyd

Post by lyd »

I can't imagine any civil response to that.

The_Don125

Post by The_Don125 »

Perhaps I've missed what you are intending to do, but if you are trying to help business protect against IR attacks (how harmful could those be though, seriously, a TV turned on and off here and there?), all they need is an IR jammer, which is nothing more than a bunch of LEDs wired to a 555 timer that outputs garbage signals that blink fast enough to jam out any remote control signals, including a TV-B-Gone.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”