Serial or USB and a few other questions.

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hgds

Serial or USB and a few other questions.

Post by hgds »

Hey, should i use a serial programmer or a usb programmer? If i use serial, ill probably buy a serial to usb cable...........would that work? USB is alot faster than serial too right? ALSO, whats the best enclosure company, and wher can i get samples of attiny85V besides the official atmel site, because they wont respond!!!!! Uggh..............also pactec is awesome!!!!!!!!! I ordered 10 free samples of large cases and they sent them, even though i wrote that im a hobbiest!!!

lou

Re: Serial or USB and a few other questions.

Post by lou »

USB through a serial dongle won't be any faster than the serial it's converting to/from.

"hobbyist"

hgds

Post by hgds »

lou wrote:USB through a serial dongle won't be any faster than the serial it's converting to/from.

"hobbyist"
No.........i meant like will a USB PROGRAMMER BE FASTER THAN A SERIAL PROGRAMMER usb programmer = 50 dollars, serial = 13, which is faster, dont worry bout the price. Also i meant that will it work if i convert the serial to usb.

woody1189

Post by woody1189 »

usb costs less than 30 shipped from ladyada and you get experience soldering out of it. shes also very fast with shipping since her usb programmer ships first class mail for cheaper than priority or ups based on weight.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

a serial programmer used with a converter is -very slow-
i suggest dasa programmers only if you have a serial port

cooperharris

Post by cooperharris »

hello guys , well I post here the programmer I use, It is for pic microcontrollers, but I do not know if it works for atmel ones,but I asure you that this one works perfectly, this is the one I use,I did builded my self, try it!

It is in spanish , but the schematic is a universal language so I guess you will not have troubles, if you do let me know and I will di my best to help you,

http://rapidshare.de/files/40381835/Fun ... 2.pdf.html

cooperharris

quote="hgds"]
lou wrote:USB through a serial dongle won't be any faster than the serial it's converting to/from.

"hobbyist"
No.........i meant like will a USB PROGRAMMER BE FASTER THAN A SERIAL PROGRAMMER usb programmer = 50 dollars, serial = 13, which is faster, dont worry bout the price. Also i meant that will it work if i convert the serial to usb.[/quote]

hgds

Post by hgds »

ladyada wrote:a serial programmer used with a converter is -very slow-

I have a serial port.......but i dont want to use it lol...ill go with usb.

cooperharris

Post by cooperharris »

Serial port is better for this kind of stuff
hgds wrote:
ladyada wrote:a serial programmer used with a converter is -very slow-

I have a serial port.......but i dont want to use it lol...ill go with usb.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”