Single enclosure for EHP kit and 4 AA batts. (lots of pics)

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
srvctec

Single enclosure for EHP kit and 4 AA batts. (lots of pics)

Post by srvctec »

I completed my totally enclosed EHP kit using Serpac enclosure parts from Mouser. The part numbers are 635-H-65AC-B and 635-2105IR

Video of my remote in operation here.

My completed EHP kit. Notice that the far left LED for some reason has a cathode half the size of all the others. I noticed that it is about half as bright as the rest as well (see the above video link for verification of this). I guess I won't be getting quite all the range possible without all 8 LEDs having the larger sized cathodes. :( EDIT: Ben sent me a replacement LED that is identical to all the others as far as the size of the cathode and brightness. Thanks Ben!

Removed the board mounting posts in the case.

Removed the board mounting posts and trimmed extra plastic near the battery cover.

Trimmed the corner off the left side to accommodate the board.

Notched the end of the battery holder to fit against posts in the cover.

Used 3M automotive trim mounting adhesive tape to hold the board and battery holder in the case.

Board and battery holder positioned (not permanently mounted) in the case at which point I realized I needed to install my switch. :oops:

View of the business end without the IR lens. You can see here under the board I used some white foam mounting tape (1/16" thick) with adhesive on one side. I used 2 layers of it to get board high enough to clear the lip on the bottom that holds the lens.

Switch mounted.

Switch mounted.

Everything connected.

IR lens installed.

It works!! :D

Nice small case.

Comfortable to hold.

Decided to use lithiums for less weight and longer life plus a lot less likely to leak their guts out all over inside my remote.

Before drilling hole for visible LED.

Completed TV-B-Gone EHP with LED window.
Last edited by srvctec on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

andreiu21

Re: Single enclosure for EHP kit and 4 AA batts. (lots of pics)

Post by andreiu21 »

Great!.
Is verey nice and more beautyfull like the SHP iPod case.... :lol:
but, you can try to put the battery holder under the pcb, in another case, for reducing the size... :wink:

srvctec

Post by srvctec »

andreiu21 wrote:Great!.
Is verey nice and more beautyfull like the SHP iPod case.... :lol:
but, you can try to put the battery holder under the pcb, in another case, for reducing the size... :wink:
Thanks!
I couldn't find any cases (that would allow the board to be on top of batteries) that everything would just fit into, with an IR window option available. I went for the absolute smallest sized case that looked nice and had the option for an IR window.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

looks great, and excellent documentation to boot!

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Are you sure that the diode isn't just a trick of the camera? The curve of the LED could make the flag appear smaller and the narrow viewing angle could account for the reduction of brightness you see. That's the ONLY thing that makes sense to me, all the LEDs are from the same batch, but I went ahead and sent you two more. You should have them in a few days (bad weather may slow it down a bit)

srvctec

Post by srvctec »

magician13134 wrote:Are you sure that the diode isn't just a trick of the camera? The curve of the LED could make the flag appear smaller and the narrow viewing angle could account for the reduction of brightness you see. That's the ONLY thing that makes sense to me, all the LEDs are from the same batch, but I went ahead and sent you two more. You should have them in a few days (bad weather may slow it down a bit)
There is definitely a difference in that one LED. I don't know what happened- maybe a rogue LED in the batch. All is well now. I replaced the dimmer/smaller cathode LED last weekend and they are all identical in cathode size and brightness now. I edited my first post to indicate this.

Thanks Ben!!

jmagahey

Re: Single enclosure for EHP kit and 4 AA batts. (lots of pi

Post by jmagahey »

i have been looking for an ehp kit exactly like this one and cant seem to find one. the only link is the magic soft ink one but the company as far as i know has since been closed. where did you get this kit?

srvctec

Re: Single enclosure for EHP kit and 4 AA batts. (lots of pi

Post by srvctec »

Wow, 6 years sure went by fast! I'm pretty sure I got it from magician13134 (Ben) in this thread but don't really remember after all these years.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”