Trinket M0 glitches with Neopixels
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trinket M0 glitches with Neopixels

by Dance_Marks on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 pm

I've been experimenting with the Trinket M0 and FastLED, and something peculiar is happening. Some type of LEDs are glitching, like the 3v signal isn't enough. Neopixels from Adafruit, generic chinese leds, string-type WS2811.. some work, some don't. Sometimes the animation is showing, covered in sporadic glitches, others just don't work at all. Some work perfectly.

I know the 3v "compatibility" of neopixels varies by batch and supplier, but the thing is, they all work perfectly with a Teensy 3.2. Same code, same circuit. I've been using Teensy 3.2 without a level converter for many projects powered by 5V PSUs (big wall PSU, USB cube charger, USB battery pack...) I've never had any signal problems with wiring the data pin directly to the Teensy.

Is the signal from the Trinket M0 weaker or electrically different? Are they not the same voltage?

Dance_Marks

Re: Trinket M0 glitches with Neopixels

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:18 pm

The Teensy and Trinket M0 use different microcontrollers, so it's highly probable that the pin behavior is different.

Try adding a voltage buffer between the Trinket and the NeoPixels and see if that makes any difference. At minimum, it will provide more information about whether you're seeing the effects of a hardware problem or a software problem.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.