Not sure where else to post this, suggestion
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Not sure where else to post this, suggestion

by kekerino on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:57 pm

It would be really awesome if Adafruit offered a microcontroller that is either CircuitPython- or Arduino-compatible and comes in a form factor that would allow it to be mounted in your stack on an FPV racing drone. These "stack-compatible" PCBs come in either a 36x36mm square or a 20x20mm square, for either mini or micro racing drones, and they have four holes for M3 screws. Here's an example: Image

It would be really cool to be able to control RGB LEDs or piezos without worrying about zip-tying one of the existing microcontrollers to your drone.

kekerino

Re: Not sure where else to post this, suggestion

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:54 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I will forward it to the design team.

adafruit_support_bill

by kekerino on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:12 am

Cool, thanks!

kekerino

by tannewt2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi kekerino,
What would you like to use it for? Would actually want it to control the ESCs or would it just be for extras?

In my pre-Adafruit life I did a full quadcopter stack of electronics: https://oscarliang.com/chickadee-polystack-overview/ and http://chickadee.tech/f4fc/v5

Its unlikely we'd actually make any new hardware for it. However, you could probably use a second flight controller to run MicroPython. They are both based on the STM32 line of chips. We don't officially support it with CircuitPython but it'd be reasonably easy to add too.
~Scott

tannewt2

by kekerino on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Controlling LEDs and speakers is all I'd want to do with it. Using a second flight controller would work, I just would need someone to explain how to put CircuitPython on it as I have no idea!

kekerino

by tannewt2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:55 pm

What FCs do you have? With MicroPython it may be as simple as introducing a new pin mapping.

tannewt2

by kekerino on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 pm

I don't have any spare ones because I only just got into the hobby recently, but I'd buy one to test with if you recommend it. Would an F1 FC work? I'm sure they're cheap nowadays since no one wants to use them for flying.

kekerino

by tannewt2 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:45 am

The PyBoard is an STM32F4 so you'll probably want to stick with an F4. I bet that'll be easiest. Open source would make it easiest too so you can figure out the pin mapping. I'd go for the Betaflight F4 if I were you. :-) I've been outta the game for a year or so though.

tannewt2

by kekerino on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:53 am

I wasn't aware you could do anything codewise with these boards besides flash the official firmware with betaflight and give simple CLI commands. What should I do? I'm sorry I just haven't attempted something like this before.

kekerino

by tannewt2 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Betaflight is open source here: https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight

Its been a while since I loaded code on an STM32 but ultimately a flight controller is just a board with a microcontroller just like Feathers are.

If you want to load MicroPython on one of these boards you'll need to replace Betaflight on it.

tannewt2

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.