raspberry pi fried by faulty power supply
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

raspberry pi fried by faulty power supply

by peteschirmer on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:02 pm

hello I purchased a
1 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B - ARMv8 with 1G RAM[ID:3055] = $35.00
and a
1 x 5V 2.5A Switching Power Supply with 20AWG MicroUSB Cable[ID:1995] = $7.50

order ID 1869945-9042400593, Order date Oct 3 2018

I noticed the power light on the rPI was blinking off, and when I plugged it into a monitor, I noticed that it was crashing and throwing kernel panics, I noticed that wiggling the cable was causing it to lose power and the flight flickered on and off. So I shut it down and went home for the night. I came back in the morning and plugged a separate power supply that I knew worked, and a fresh install of rasbian on an SD card, and when the pi booted up it immediately crashed the OS and put up an overheating icon I tried rebooting 2 more times with the same results. Just for kicks I pulled the SD card out and put it in a known working rPI3 and it ran fine. I believe the power supply and/or the rpi power connection is bad and needs to be replaced.

I emailed customer support and they said:

"Hi Pete!

Thanks for the note! Regarding your raspberry pi - Our colleagues in the engineering and technical support forums will assist you with this type of question. They are also able to authorize replacements if necessary.

Please create a post in the appropriate forum here: http://www.adafruit.com/forums/

Here are some tips to help you place your support post:

1) Tell us what product you are asking about, your Adafruit order number, and when you purchased the item.
2) Post clear photos, focused, and detailed pictures of the front and back of the boards, as well as any connections to the board.
3) For software issues, please post the complete text of your IDE's error message. Please use the [code] tag when posting error message as well as code.
4) If you are having trouble with a code sketch, please post or link to your entire source code. Again, please use the [code] tag when posting code.
5) If you are building a project from the Learning System, please post a link to the page you are having difficulty with.

For more details about posting on the technical support, check out our Customer
Support Forum video here: http://youtu.be/HnTXXu9Bve0

Thank you,
Adafruit support, Jessie Mae
"

I think this is the correct spot, I couldn't find a better forum section. I don't have any other photos or software to share, it was a clean, new, out of box item that appears to be defective on arrival.

Kindly,
-Pete Schirmer

peteschirmer

Re: raspberry pi fried by faulty power supply

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:31 am

This is as good a place as any.. we diagnose hardware problems and authorize replacements here in the forums.

What voltages do you see on the RasPi's 5V and 3.3V GPIO pins, and what voltage do you see coming out of the power supply?

adafruit_support_mike

by peteschirmer on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:49 pm

the power supply is a 5v from adafruit, micro usb. I don't have a way to read directly from the power supply what it's putting out, but I know I was seeing 4.6v on the 5v pin on the rpi because I looked up why it was low, but forums said that was within spec...?

I don't remember what the 3v was reading.. would you like me to fire it up to inspect?

peteschirmer

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Please do. It sounds like the RasPi may have shorted to a dergree that pulled the power supply's output low.

You don't need to apply power for more than a few seconds.

adafruit_support_mike

by peteschirmer on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:17 pm

it reads correctly at about 3.3v, but when I plug it into a monitor i still get a black screen with a little tempature warning instead of booting into the OS correctly, same SD card works on another rPI

peteschirmer

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:50 am

Unfortunately, the RasPi line has gone through enough hardware updates that 'works in another RasPi' no longer has much diagnostic value.. even for boards that are nominally the same kind. A card that will boot a Pi2 made in 2016 won't boot a Pi2 made in 2018.

It does sound like there's a failure in the RasPi's 5V system somewhere, so we just need to diagnose the wall adapter. It's rare for one of those to go out of spec, and there are no obvious ways for one running below nominal voltage to damage a RasPi in a way that makes it overheat.

Do you have any microcontroller dev boards that use a micro-B USB jack for power? If so, try plugging the wall adapter into one of those and check the voltage on the 5V pin. Microcontrollers are more durable than s RasPi, and shouldn't be bothered if the power supply is acting up.

adafruit_support_mike

by peteschirmer on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:46 pm

no I'm not comparing apples to oranges, I have several brand new out of box rpi's all the same model, I have working power supplies aside from the one that was hinkey, and was replaced by adafruit already. The sd card is a freshly flashed OS from etcher, it works fine on one pi and not on this one after it was affected by the bad power supply.

peteschirmer

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:56 am

In that case I can only authorize replacement of the RasPi.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you a replacement Pi3.

(#3055)

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.