RasPi 0 USB trouble

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
petran1420

RasPi 0 USB trouble

Post by petran1420 »

Hi there,

I recently bought a rasPi 0 here and am trying to wire a USB hub directly onto the device, but am having troubles. Fortunately I have 2 pi 0s so I can do a little troubleshooting on my own, but I'm still running into problems. I have Raspian Jessie written onto an sd card, out from NOOBS. I also have a USB keyboard and mouse for troubleshooting purposes.

First of all, both the keyboard and mouse work when plugged into a pi 2 I purchased from you guys awhile back, running on the same Jessie sd card, so I don't think theres a problem with those devices. When I plug the usb keyboard into the pi 0 that i didn't wire up to the usb hub (using a usb adapter), it works fine. However when I plug the keyboard into any of the USBs that are on my wired pi (the built in USB with adaptor, or a USB port on the hub) nothing works. I get an error message during boot very similar to the one in this post https://www.forums.adafruit.com/viewtop ... 24&t=94271 . The USB mouse, unlike the keyboard, doesn't work on either of my pi 0s even though it worked on the pi 2; when plugged into the pi 0s the red leds on the mouse light up, so i know its receiving power, but its not working still. I tested voltage on PP1 and PP6 on the wired pi 0, coming out of the pi and going into the usb hub and it is 5.1V for both, so I know power is getting into the hub.

I'm at a loss where to go next, did I do anything wrong? I've attached pictures of my wiring to and from the pi and usb hub.
Attachments
IMG_20160721_080729.jpg
IMG_20160721_080729.jpg (94.27 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 8.15.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 8.15.27 AM.png (289.36 KiB) Viewed 126 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”