Cannot Get Gemma to connect to Windows 10

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mike_TV

Cannot Get Gemma to connect to Windows 10

Post by Mike_TV »

This seems like a common topic of inquiry, so I'll stick to the basic points.

-Gemma V2 comes on and red light pulses when button is pressed.
-I've been through the Windows IDE and driver set up
-I've attempted to install the drivers manually.
-Windows cannot recognize the tinyUSB port and does not talk to the Gemma, rendering attempts to upload scripts impossible.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Cannot Get Gemma to connect to Windows 10

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You'll never get a Serial port in the Arduino IDE's menus.

The Gemma doesn't have a real USB-to-Serial converter, its bootloader just emulates a low-speed USB connection long enough to upload firmware. You have to force the bootloader to launch manually before every upload by clicking the reset button.

Mike_TV

Post by Mike_TV »

Is forcing the bootloader to run the part where you press the button on the board causing it to pulse, then upload the script? I've been doing that.

I can also confirm that I've tried multiple USB cables and I've also tried this on my wife's Windows 7 laptop with the same unsuccessful results.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's the right process, but it can be tricky to get the timing right.

The bootloader only waits 10 seconds for an incoming USB connection before giving up and passing control to the main code. You need to give Windows enough time to recognize the bootloader and create a COM port before the IDE starts trying to do the upload, but not so early that the bootloader gives up and moves on before the upload can start. It takes some trial and error to find the sweet spot, but fortunately it tends to be repeatable.

Also double-check your USB cables by using them to connect some other, known-working device to a computer. There's a plague fo charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends but no wires for the data signals. We see people get caught by them every day, and trying multiple cables doesn't guarantee any of them can actually carry data. People have posted that they had to try four or five cables before finding one that would carry data.

Mike_TV

Post by Mike_TV »

Confirming I was using a data cable was one of the first steps I took. Just double-checked and can confirm I can move files to and from my phone.

I tried to upload and received the message a few more times, then it came up as:

"Sketch uses 680 bytes (12%) of program storage space. Maximum is 5310 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes of dynamic memory.

avrdude: error: usbtiny_receive: (expected 4, got -5)"

I went ahead and followed the instructions and tried to install avrdude. Now it's giving me the following message both when the before and after I've pressed the bootloader button.

"C:\Users\Mike>avrdude -c usbtiny -p m8
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

avrdude done. Thank you."

Anyway, Halloween is tomorrow and I don't have the time to play with this anymore. I'm just going to use some red costume jewels as the Adafruit products aren't worth my time anymore.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”