Neopixel ring and Nucleo F411RE

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xTamx420

Neopixel ring and Nucleo F411RE

Post by xTamx420 »

I'm trying to get a 16 segment Neopixel ring working on an STM Nucleo board but I can't seem to figure it out. I thought I found a good library on mbed for controlling them but then it turned out it only works on some NXP board.

I'm relatively new to C++ programming but I got it working on an Arduino just fine with the adafruit libraries.

Has anyone here used a Nucleo board to drive Neopixel device before and if so how did you do it?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Neopixel ring and Nucleo F411RE

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We don't have any code for that platform, and porting a NeoPixel library to a new CPU is a fairly big challenge.

The signals that control the NeoPixels last 1.25 microseconds per bit, and the difference between a zero and a one is about 150 nanoseconds. If you don't have anything to measure the actual signal timing (like an oscilloscope), it's really hard to adjust the code to get the right timing.

scdavisNovatek

Post by scdavisNovatek »

Has there been any progress on firmware for NeoPixels on the STM32 family? mbed's timer API only supports microsecond resolution (high level bit banging not possible) and I've seen comments about using the MOSI pin of a SPI port, but haven't seen any code actually doing it. I'd prefer not to have to write the assembly code necessary for my specific uC for what seems like a very common application.
Thanks,
Stephen

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yes, we have a couple of STM32 boards in the lineup, and the NeoPixel library has been updated to support them.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”