Interfacing microcontroller atmega8515 with Adrafuit Fona GS

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Navimtl

Interfacing microcontroller atmega8515 with Adrafuit Fona GS

Post by Navimtl »

I am doing a project where I want to send a message to cell phone if drink level in container goes low. I want to connect Fona to serial port of atmega8515 micro-controller. If drink level is too low, a message will be sent to the owner. I don't know how to Interface FONA with micro-controller and how to configure so that micro-controller can send and receive message through GSM module. I live in canada and do I need to subscribe with telephone company for SIM card.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Interfacing microcontroller atmega8515 with Adrafuit Fon

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The FONA uses Hayes modem AT commands. They're all demomnstrated in the example sketch that comes with the FONA library:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_FONA

Navimtl

Post by Navimtl »

I still have concern with SIM card. The website says, Ting can sell SIM card. The details are mostly about United States. I live in Montreal, Canada. I am not sure which SIM I can use. I have cell phone. Question is would that SIM work with FONA SMA version.

Another my concern is how to configure or program so that it can send and receive info from micro-controller. After GSM receives info from micro-controller, I want to send a SMS to cell phone

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You'll have to check with your local cell providers to see who has a 2G network. We only know about 2G support in the areas where we operate ourselves.

Handling communication between the microcontroller and the FONA is demonstrated in the library and its associated example code. Read through that and use it as a working reference for any non-Arduino code you want to write on your own.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”