ESP32

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JohnsonUTPB

ESP32

Post by JohnsonUTPB »

I have recently bought (2)ESP32s and after playing with them for a few minutes; I've come to the conclusion that these BDS are not only underdeveloped, but also have h/w flaws.
My troubles first begun with, let's call it bd1, as I realized I could not upload a simple sketch to it. First thought was libraries or tool chain.... I'm not the most experienced; but, not the least either...
After tinkering for quite some time without any success, I went to Google with my errors: "Timed out waiting for a packet header." This related many topics pertaining to others having faulty bds. I did not consider a faulty bd because: though I couldn't flash it, it did already have a sketch flashed; and I could read output via serial console.
At this point; I decided to try bd2...
It took a flash on the first attempt without the need of pressing the reset in any crazy timing scheme. I detached the battery, purchased on same invoice, from bd1.... Attached it to bd2.... And proceeded with a little development.
The following morning, I realized; after disconnection from my PC, with battery still connected, the board failed to sustain pwr. At first, I figured bad batt... But noticed with this bd plugged into my PC, the onboard LEDs became brighter when the battery was reattached. The battery is def providing pwr; but only when it already sourced pwr via USB.
I reattached the battery to bd1, and noticed the same. I believe it to be a fault in the battery control circuit,,, and likely the charge resistor; but have not confirmed.
The battery problems do not concern me nearly as much as not being able to flash the MCU; but I do believe this is a shortcoming in HW engineering...

adafruit_support_mike

Re: ESP32

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Could you post a link to the specific board you got please? There are several variants, all of which program differently.

The ESP32 is a new device though, and not completely documented by Espressif. The support code is also under active development, so yes, you're going to find it rough around the edges.

JohnsonUTPB

Post by JohnsonUTPB »

Thanks for your response... The specific bds I am having trouble with are the https://www.adafruit.com/product/3405

I expect many software bugs that need to be worked out... But I believe these bds have hardware faults as well; though I admit, I could be wrong.

Out of the box, I can only get one to take a flash... And neither of these hv fully functional battery circuits.

As to the one that won't flash; I get a packet header error while waiting for a connection.

JohnsonUTPB

Post by JohnsonUTPB »

Is this post closed; or did I slip through the cracks?

I still have a dead ESP32; won't take a flash.
Can it be flashed from my working module via spi?
I believe the error is in the boot/DL code or a hardware fault(floating pin).
Please advise a solution or send a replacement?

Also, are others having trouble with the battery circuit? This defect is not a deal breaker for me; but, I would like to know why the battery circuit has failed on two of these bds.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”