Adafruit Industries, Essential service and business: NYC – Executive Order 202.6 - Read more. Accepting essential orders - here's how.

Problem with Trinket M0
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Problem with Trinket M0

by OrigamiCoder on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm

I had just received two Trinket M0's and the first one that I plugged into my laptop would only have the On LED light up a steady green.
Nothing else seemed to happen and the device didn't show up on my laptop.

I checked for driver issues, tried another cable, and still nothing.

I then tested the second Trinket M0, and it worked perfectly. Showed up on the laptop and the onboard LED turned violet and proceeded to cycle through colors.

I saw troubleshooting guides for fixing the bootloader, but realized that the first Trinket just doesn't show up at all on my computer. (Doesn't show up as a physical volume at all)

I'm assuming that it might in fact be defective, but I'd like to make sure that there isn't anything else that I'm missing or overlooking that might allow me to resolve this issue on my own before resorting to asking for a replacement.

Thank you for your time.

OrigamiCoder

Re: Problem with Trinket M0

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:31 pm

Does double-clicking the reset button have any effect?

The microcontroller handles USB internally, and sometimes that code can crash.. especially with high-speed USB ports that start off with a burst of data at 480MHz (about 10x faster than the CPU clock). Double-clicking the reset button forces the bootloader to relaunch, so you should see the fading LED pattern that says it's running.

adafruit_support_mike

by OrigamiCoder on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:50 am

Ah, apologies, I thought that I mentioned it, but I see that I did not.

I did try double-clicking the reset button as it said on the troubleshooting guide for resetting the bootloader, and nothing happened.
That coupled with the laptop (I tried Mac and Linux) not even detecting the physical volume, is what made me figure that I was in trouble and should contact customer support, which informed me to ask on the forums. (Which I just noticed that there was a sub-forum for the Trinket specifically.. apologies about that)

OrigamiCoder

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:55 am

No worries.. at least you didn't post it in the RasPi forum. ;-)

As a last-ditch effort, try putting a cheap/old USB-2 hub between the computer and the Trinket. That will block the signals that cause problems for the microcontroller. I have to do that programming some versions of the Feather from my own Mac.

adafruit_support_mike

by OrigamiCoder on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:20 am

Haha, yeah

Ok, so I had tried on my computer which has 2.0 ports and it didn't work.

As per the last-ditch effort, I tried two different 2.0 hubs with my laptop and neither seemed to prompt any response (even with trying to double-click the reset button to relaunch the bootloader).

OrigamiCoder

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:48 pm

Good enough, thanks.

Send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you a new Trinket M0.

(#3500)

adafruit_support_mike

by OrigamiCoder on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:57 am

Ok, understood.

Thank you again for your help.

OrigamiCoder

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.