USB to GPIO for Desktop/Laptops?

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mosaicrob

USB to GPIO for Desktop/Laptops?

Post by mosaicrob »

Hi everyone, I'm writing to ask if a certain product exists which would be really helpful.

I often use raspberry pi's, however I often want to do development on my mac when traveling w/o a pi, or running on battery power somewhere (so no wall outlet). In order to prototype things, it'd be really helpful to have a usb-to-gpio pins I can plug into my laptop so I can test how my development is working with different peripherals w/o having to have a microcontroller and be close to a power source.

I'm googling for things like "usb gpio" and seeing things like this https://numato.com/product/8-channel-us ... log-inputs

But this does not have the same pins as the pi (in count or orientation). Ideally it'd match 1:1.

Any help as to if such a product exists is appreciated

mosaicrob

Re: USB to GPIO for Desktop/Laptops?

Post by mosaicrob »

This is exactly what I was looking for, but not made anymore. Does adafruit or anyone sell something similar? : MODERATOR EDIT: LINK REMOVED

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We don't carry that device, or anything with a RasPi GPIO pinout.

We don't allow Kickstarter links in the forum BTW.. we're a big enough target for link-spam as it is.

You can program most microcontroller dev boards to work as GPIO devices that accept input through the USB connection. That part is fairly easy. Creating a software interface on the computer at the other end of the USB cable is more of a challenge.

You might want to look at Processing:

http://processing.org/

It's a platform designed to work with the Wiring hardware system, on which the Arduino is based, but supports interaction between computers and programmable hardware.

mosaicrob

Post by mosaicrob »

Ok great, thank you Mike!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”