Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

STM8S-Discovery
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

STM8S-Discovery

by Thrymr on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:56 pm

An interesting cheap microcontroller platform:

http://www.st.com/mcu/contentid-130-113 ... OVERY.html

I don't know much about it relative to the AVRs, but for $7 each (with USB interface included) they may be worth a try. ST has been good about offering samples in the past, and apparently they were sampling this board, but I haven't been able to figure out how to request one at my.st.com. They are certainly cheap enough that I'm likely to roll one into my next Digi-Key order.

I am a bit leery of the development tools, which are free but Windows-only. Does anyone have thoughts on how this compares with getting into AVR programming for someone relatively new to microcontrollers?

Thanks.
Thrymr

Re: STM8S-Discovery

by franklin97355 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:00 pm

If this is the chip I'm thinking of the programmer is web based and hosted on the manufacturers site.

franklin97355

by artemisgoldfish on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:35 pm

franklin97355 wrote:If this is the chip I'm thinking of the programmer is web based and hosted on the manufacturers site.

You're thinking of a different device. If I recall correctly, both were featured around the same time on Hackaday, but I find this one more memorable because of it's fantastic price. If I have the money to waste, I definitely want to try this device out, I think most of the online distributors I've seen it offered through sell it for about $6.60.

Some technical details:

The STM8S-Discovery uses an STM8S105C6T6, with 32KB program memory, 2KB of RAM, and 1KB of EEPROM. It also has the typical 8-bit microcontroller features, like ADC, UART, I2C, SPI, timers, yadda yadda. Interestingly, it also has a beeper which can generate tones of 1KHz, 2KHz, and 4KHz. (Weird feature...) Reminds me a lot of the average 16F/18F PICs, except that the STM8S uses pipelining so it might have better execution speed than non-pipelined chips.

I've also learned that ST doesn't have the greatest datasheets, and that their datasheets look pretty anemic next to Microchip's documentation.
artemisgoldfish

by Thrymr on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:35 pm

On researching a little more, I think I'm not going to dive into this right now. Even though it is so cheap, AVRs are not very expensive, and my time is worth enough at this point that (a) I don't need to learn 2 different systems and environments and (b) I'd rather be using the one with more free tools and a larger community of users and hackers.

It is still an interesting platform, though, and those of you who are going to try it, I wish you well and look forward to seeing what can be done with it.
Thrymr

by zagazouk on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:54 pm

Hmmm ...

The STM8 is based on a pretty fast 8-bit core though. As you said it comes along with a pipeline and they claim around 1.6 cycles per instruction. The 16 MHz clock are not divided internally and these two makes it much faster than other industry standard cores (try to compare it to a HCS08, you'll see ...)

The architecture is well adapted to C-programming and I heard of people that weren't able to hand-code better in assembler than the compiler for the STM8 does ...

The macrocells are quite efficient as well. I like a lot how the timers are implemented and work together with the ADC, that's good for motor control.

And searching on the ST site, I found that they distribute these Discovery Kits now as freebies on the embedded world exhibition 2010.

Here is the corresponding link
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/fam ... d_2010.htm

Cheers
Zaga
zagazouk

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.