Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

PICAXE Programming
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PICAXE Programming

by Ian25 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 pm

Hello, This might be a dumb question, but I am new to microcontrollers (not to mention electronics in general) but I was wondering if I could program a PICAXE micro controller with an arduino. (mine is a Arduino Duemilanove)

Maybe with the ICSP (6 pin) header?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If it is possible, could you link me to a tutorial. (if their is one, that you know of)

Thanks.
Ian25

Re: PICAXE Programming

by adafruit on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 am

you should read about how avr programming works
http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/

adafruit

by franklin97355 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:38 am

The picaxe is a whole different breed. some info here http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/PICAXE/software.htm

franklin97355

by minerva on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:37 am

Arduino is really everything that PICAXE tried to be... except better in every way.

I mean, using RS232 as the native computer interface for programming? In this day and age?
minerva

by westfw on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:31 pm

I mean, using RS232 as the native computer interface for programming? In this day and age?

Just like the original arduino! And cutting component costs in half by not requiring a $4 USB chip to program a $4 microcontroller.

I'm not sure what you mean by "can I program a PICAXE with an arduino. The PICAXE is designed to be programmed directly from an rs232 serial port (the DB9 that used to be on the back of most PCs) with just a little bit of hardware for level conversion assistance.

1) Can you use the USB/Serial converter on an Arduino instead of a real serial port to program a PICAXE: No. Aside from the voltage level differences, a real serial port has its signals "inverted" compared to what the PICAXE expects. For the same reason, you can't use the FTDI cable that programs DC Boarduinos and BBB-type systems.

2) Could I write a sketch for an Arduino that would allow it to act like a USB programming cable for PICAXE chips: Probably. You can read characters from the Arduino's USB-Serial port and uses something like softwareSerial to write them to an output pin WITH the inversion. This would be ... more difficult than buying a $10 USB cable made to program picaxes, or a $6 generic USB/rs232 cable.

3) What if I add hardware to the arduino, like a max232?: Yes, that could certainly be made to work.

4) No no, you have it all wrong. I want to store several PICAXE programs in the Arduino's EEPROM or a flash card, and then have the arduino program the picaxe with one of them, as appropriate to what I want to do at the time! : Yes, this could almost certainly be done; you would have to solve the same hardware issues using (2) or (3), and you might have to figure out the serial format used by the picaxe software (I don't know whether that aspect is documented.)

westfw

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.