Adafruit Feather ESP32+FeatherWings+TLS
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit Feather ESP32+FeatherWings+TLS

by davidrs16 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:01 am

Hi all,

I have just purchased EthernetFeatherWings and ESP32. I´m trying to established a wired MQTTs connection without succes, the library that I have used are:

Ethernet2.h+WifiClientSecure.h+PubSubClient.h

And the connection cannot be establihesh, if I use EthernetClient instead WifiClientSecure I can establish the connection but wihtou encrytion.

WiFiClientSecure is a library that borns to provide TLS connectivity by WiFi but It can work in ESP32 with EHT.h librabraries for LAN8720 Chipset. The issue is that ETH.h looks like nos tupport FeatherWings with W5500.

So my question is there any other possibility to use the FeatherWing with TLS encryption? Is in the development roadmap?

If not do you have a network shield based on LAN8720 for the Feather ESP32?

Another issue that I have with the FeatherWing is how to know the link state, in order to know if the cable has been disconnected and when it is connected back to request DHCP again.

Thank you very much!

davidrs16

Re: Adafruit Feather ESP32+FeatherWings+TLS

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:49 am

The only wired Ethernet device we carry is the WIZ1500 version you already have.

We don't have any code to support SSL connections because that's some distance up the software stack from hardware support, which we do. We don't have any plans to develop that kind of code because maintaining security on SSL code is a full-time job.

The ESP32 is still a new chip with marginal code support for the hardware, so you'll probably have to bash together your own version of an SSL library using the pieces you already have as code references.

adafruit_support_mike

by davidrs16 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:13 am

Hi,

Thanks for your response. In my opinion is too much work to be assumed by a customer.

Probably is easier to add support for the w5500 in the esp32/ETH.h this library supports WifiClientSecure instead of your version called Ethernet2.h

I know that ESP32 is still a new chip but the encryption is a basic function for the enterprise.

In the other hand how can I know when the cable is connected or disconnected with your Ethernet2 library?

Thanks!!

davidrs16

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:03 am

davidrs16 wrote:Thanks for your response. In my opinion is too much work to be assumed by a customer.

That's exactly opposite to our business model: we're a Maker supply company, not a turn-key solutions vendor. Our target market consists of people who want to read datasheets and write code.

I don't know of anyone who does ESP32 turn-key solutions right now.. it isn't a stable enough platform for deployment at any scale. I'm not sure Espressif has even released support code for the ESP32's crypto hardware yet.

davidrs16 wrote:In the other hand how can I know when the cable is connected or disconnected with your Ethernet2 library?

The WIZ1500 doesn't provide any means of cable detection per se. The closest approximation would be the link-status bit in the PHYCFGR register.

adafruit_support_mike

by davidrs16 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 am

OK understand Mike.

Could you explain me or give me an example of how to read the link-status bit in the PHYCFGR register.

Thank you very much!

davidrs16

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:46 am

The Ethernet2 library has a function named .getPHYCFGR(). The link status bit is the least-significant bit of the 8-bit return value.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.