Uploading a sketch to Bluefruit LE Feather M0 via Bluetooth
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Uploading a sketch to Bluefruit LE Feather M0 via Bluetooth

by djjoel on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:44 am

Hello!

I'm relatively new to Arduinos, Arduino IDE and electronics in general but I'm very excited about my new hobby! I'm using an Adafruit Bluefruit LE Feather M0 to control a neopixel strip.

Now, what I'd like to do is be able to upload sketches to the Bluefruit VIA Bluetooth.

I have connected to the Bluefruit with my Windows 10 PC, and it says paired, but in Arduino IDE, under Tools>Port, I don't see the Bluefruit, only "COM1" which doesn't work. Am I missing a step somewhere? My Bluetooth dongle on my PC supports Bluetooth 4.0, but it is not the "Bluetooth 4.0 USB Module (v2.1 Back-Compatible)" as sold on the Adafruit site, since I bought this dongle for something else a few months ago.

Alternatively I could just plug the bluefruit into my PC to upload sketches, but I don't want to fry my PC since my power supplies and LED strips are on the same circuit. Unplugging it and re-plugging it every time is a nuisance.

Help please! :)

-Joel

djjoel

Re: Uploading a sketch to Bluefruit LE Feather M0 via Blueto

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:06 am

djjoel wrote:Now, what I'd like to do is be able to upload sketches to the Bluefruit VIA Bluetooth.

The hardware can't do that.

The Feather M0 bootloader only knows how to upload firmware from the USB connection to the computer. The microcontroller handles USB internally, so there aren't even any exposed pins that you where you can inject a signal some other way.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Uploading a sketch to Bluefruit LE Feather M0 via Blueto

by djjoel on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:32 am

Thank you Mike! That saved me a lot of time.

djjoel

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.