Looking for a small relay board
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Looking for a small relay board

by jct4764 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm looking for a small relay board to activate a 12 volt solenoid from a BBC micro:bit, similar to this one:
https://www.monkmakes.com/mb_relay/

Does Adafruit sell something like this? I suppose I could build one similar to this:
http://playground.arduino.cc/uploads/Le ... driver.pdf
but I'd prefer to buy one, if I can find it at a reasonable price.

Thank you!
jct4764

Re: Looking for a small relay board

by oesterle on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi, jct4764!

For driving a solenoid, the Pimoroni automation:bit for micro:bit would be a nice board to try. I believe it has the important flyback diodes to protect your BBC micro:bit from voltage spikes from the solenoid on the outputs. There's also a built-in relay, and that as well could be safely used to switch your solenoid.

If you want something with room to grow, I'd also look at the Adafruit CRICKIT for micro:bit.

And yes, you could create your own solenoid-driving circuit, too. There are a number of solenoid projects in the Adafruit Learning System; I'd look at this wiring section of the Remote controlled door lock project.

Cheers,

Eric

oesterle

Re: Looking for a small relay board

by jct4764 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:19 pm

oesterle wrote:Hi, jct4764!

For driving a solenoid, the Pimoroni automation:bit for micro:bit would be a nice board to try. I believe it has the important flyback diodes to protect your BBC micro:bit from voltage spikes from the solenoid on the outputs. There's also a built-in relay, and that as well could be safely used to switch your solenoid.

If you want something with room to grow, I'd also look at the Adafruit CRICKIT for micro:bit.

And yes, you could create your own solenoid-driving circuit, too. There are a number of solenoid projects in the Adafruit Learning System; I'd look at this wiring section of the Remote controlled door lock project.

Cheers,

Eric

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that I actually need to control two solenoids from the micro:bit, so I need two relays. The Pimoroni automation:bit would be ideal except that it only has one relay. The CRICKIT for micro:bit has four relays, so it could do the job. However, it does not work with MicroPython, which is what I was planning to use on the micro:bit. So I have to decide whether to use a different language, or find a different board.
jct4764

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.