Cannot get AdaFruit Huzzah ESP8266 to upload Firmware AT ALL
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cannot get AdaFruit Huzzah ESP8266 to upload Firmware AT ALL

by Raymop on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:21 pm

About 12 months ago I loaded firmware and the unit works correctly.
But, recently, I cannot upload firmware to my HUZZAH.
Today I can receive the serial output of firmware that currently exists, but cannot transmit new firmware.
I have tried every thing I can find on the internet and am completely STUCK.
I have tried changing the OS and Hardware.
Switched drivers, switched USB cables, switched power supplies, tried non HUZZAH ESP.
Bought a brand new HUZZAH, bought some NodeMCU units.
Cannot upload anything.

Using Arduino IDE on MacBook Air (2017) running 10.4.2 I get errors
Using esptool.py from command line, gives me errors.

I am stumped.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MacBook-Air:esptool paulraymond$ python ./esptool.py --port=/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART --baud 9600 write_flash 0x00000 /Users/paulraymond/Arduino/DHT/.pioenvs/nodemcu/firmware.bin
esptool.py v2.6-beta1
Serial port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MacBook-Air:esptool paulraymond$ python ./esptool.py --port=/dev/cu.usbmodemFB00001 --baud 9600 write_flash 0x00000 /Users/paulraymond/Arduino/DHT/.pioenvs/nodemcu/firmware.bin
esptool.py v2.6-beta1
Serial port /dev/cu.usbmodemFB00001
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header

Arduino IDE on MacOS or WIN10 gives me

warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

Raymop

Re: Cannot get AdaFruit Huzzah ESP8266 to upload Firmware AT

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:30 am

As a sanity check, verify your USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to the computer.

There's a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends, but no wires for the data signals. Just swapping cables doesn't necessarily do any good, since it's become normal for people to say they had to try three or four cables before finding one that actually worked.

We need the true positive of a working device making a connection to the computer to rule out the false negatives caused by charge-only cables.

adafruit_support_mike

by Raymop on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:41 am

Good question.
I am using both a micro usb charge cable and a data cable. The data cable is connecting the tx, rx and dtr pins to their counterparts on the huzzah.
This is confirmed in that my Mac is recognizing the port. See output pasted in original post.

Still stumped.

Raymop

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:58 am

To clarify, are you seeing failed uploads for a single ESP8266, or all the ESP8266s you connect to the Mac/Windows machine?

adafruit_support_mike

by Raymop on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:06 am

All the ESP8266s fail to upload. One is a HUZAAH in with normal operating firmware, another HUZZAH is brand new (just received), and two others are non-HUZZAH, but are also newly purchased.

Raymop

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:57 am

Thank you. Are you using the EP8266 Feather HUZZAH, or the HUZZAH breakout?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2821
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2471

If you're using the breakout, you have to put the ESP8266 into bootloader mode manually every time:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huz ... -test-5-24

adafruit_support_mike

by Raymop on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:49 pm

I am not using the break out board.

Raymop

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:30 am

Hmm.. The Feather HUZZAH should automatically reboot and drop into bootloader mode when the USB host opens a Serial connection.

It looks like you might be using the wrong baudrate though. The ESP8266 emits a burst of diagnostic data at 78400 baud when it boots, then switches to 115200 baud when uploading firmware. It looks like you've specified 9600 baud.

adafruit_support_mike

by Raymop on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:00 pm

I have tried many baud rates and none work.

MacBook-Air:esptool paulraymond$ python ./esptool.py --port=/dev/cu.usbmodemFB00001 --baud 115200 --chip esp8266 --before no_reset write_flash 0x00000 /var/folders/x_/ldzvfq5931z127hqdd_ppx1r0000gn/T/arduino_build_852164/blink.ino.bin
esptool.py v2.6-beta1
Serial port /dev/cu.usbmodemFB00001

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header

============================================================================================================================================================
verbose Output from Arduino

https://www.dropbox.com/s/beyzo3shb9hxt ... 4.rtf?dl=0

Raymop

by JD_ on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:50 am

I have the same problem in Arduino IDE.
This is what I see if I upload a code to my Adafruit Feather Huzzah:

esptool.py v2.6
Serial port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____.....____Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/jd_/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.5.2/tools/upload.py", line 25, in <module>
esptool.main(fakeargs)
File "/Users/jd_/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.5.2/tools/esptool/esptool.py", line 2653, in main
esp.connect(args.before)
File "/Users/jd_/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.5.2/tools/esptool/esptool.py", line 468, in connect
raise FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error))
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header

_

Can someone please solve this problem.

I appreciate all help

(note: I use macOS Mojave version 10.14.5 and I use Arduino IDE version 1.8.9)

JD_

by jsargeant on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:16 pm

I have a similar communication issue with just one Feather Huzzah ESP8266 module. I have built 20 assemblies that have been functional for months and have been slowly improving my software. With one unit, when I try to connect via USB and go through the upload process (Flash Erase All -> ESP8266 Sketch Data Upload) fails with the same "Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____" error string. If I just open a serial console window on the same Port, I can see the debug print statements from the existing running sketch. (I close the console window before attempting the Sketch data upload).

I'm using the same IDE session, with the same sketch and the same USB cable to do all of my downloads, only this one board is having issues, and as I stated earlier, it worked in the past to upload the sketch & SPIFF data.

I don't have the Red LED dim issue that would indicate that it was stuck in bootloader mode.

Is this board dead? Pressing the Reset button on the board only restarts the sketch.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

jsargeant

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:19 pm

First, as a sanity check, verify your USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to the computer.

There’s a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends, but no wires for the data signals. We see people get caught by them every day.

Just swapping cabled doesn’t have any diagnostic value.. it’s normal for people to say they had to try half a dozen cables before finding one that worked. You need the true positive of a working connection to rule out the false negative of a charge-only cable.

adafruit_support_mike

by JD_ on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:08 pm

I have a brand New micro usb charging and data cable that works if i plug my phone in to my pc.

JD_

by jsargeant on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:56 pm

In my situation, the same cable was used for both the controllers that worked, and this controller that won't connect.

jsargeant

by JD_ on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:18 pm

I've solved my problem.

My problem was that the GPIO #15 pin was connected to a component.
Thats why he didn't get in boot-mode.

JD_

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.