Multiple Stepper motors question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Multiple Stepper motors question

by RoboBrew on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi All,
I'm completely new to microcontrollers and I'm trying to learn some new skills while building out an idea I've had for a while. What I'm trying to make is more or less a 3D printer in terms of how it moves but instead of an extruder/filament arm I want to have a syringe pump pick up and dispense ingredients to mix cocktails.

As I'm reading through material online I see that there are some drivers that are better at controlling multiple motors- TinyG and Rambo. However, I see that there is a stepper motor shield for arduino that can handle 2 DC motors PRODUCT ID: 1438. I'm not entirely sure how many motors I'll need but I'm thinking more than 4 for sure. The arduino shield can be stacked to power many motors- so my question is- is there any benefit to using TinyG/Rambo vs stacking multiple arduino motor shields together?

(Side question- ideally I'd like to use rasberry Pi to control the arduino- is this redundant? can I build out a 3D printer with a raspberry pi and control the motors that way? I see there is a stepper motor driver for Pi PRODUCT ID: 2348?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

RoboBrew

Re: Multiple Stepper motors question

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:13 pm

You can stack motor shields to drive many motors. However, the more motors you have, the slower they will be. For your application, the TinyG would be a better solution: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1749

And, since the TinyG has its own processor to execute the G-code, it offloads your Arduino (or Ras-Pi ) from low-level stepping code - leaving plenty of processor power for other functions.

adafruit_support_bill

by RoboBrew on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks!

the description of the TinyG says that it has it's own micro controller- so does that mean it can drive 4 motors independently via Gcode without an Arduino or Ras pi, right? Although, I'd like to make a GUI for the build and so Im assuming that it can work with other micro controllers?

RoboBrew

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:15 am

The Tiny-G needs something (like an Arduino or a Pi) to feed it the G-Code. But it takes care of all the processor-intensive step timing & counting details, including jerk-less acceleration on all 4 axis.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.