Doubts which microcontroller/board to pick
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Doubts which microcontroller/board to pick

by dequerol on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 am

Hello everyone!

I need to start a project for my university, and I am having problems deciding which board could or not do the job.

A small brief about the project:
I need some infrared sensors to be able to measure velocity (I will buy around 3 of these ones: IR Break Beam Sensor - 3mm LEDs, https://www.adafruit.com/product/2167), in which one of those will be also used to make the push of a solenoid (with its relay and/or diode and transistor stuff). This solenoid will have an additional "blocking platform" to prevent an object to bounce at the same (that falling object will go straight down through the infrared sensors). In other words, the falling object should hit once the ground and then, that "blocking platform" will prevent its consecutive bounces.

If it was not clear enough, I can describe it more, but I hope you got the idea :)

The thing is, that I am doubting between this new board:
- Adafruit Metro M4 feat. Microchip ATSAMD51 https://www.adafruit.com/product/3382
and this one
- Adafruit Feather M0 Basic Proto - ATSAMD21 Cortex M0 https://www.adafruit.com/product/2772

I am more about to get the first, but if anyone here could help me out, it will save me a ton of hours!.

For sure, any other boards or general recommendations for the project are more than welcome. Feel free to discuss any improvements on it. Price range is pretty wide.

Thank you in advance and sorry for any English grammatic errors.

David

dequerol

Re: Doubts which microcontroller/board to pick

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:15 am

You have not specified what the expected timing requirements are. This will depend on the size and velocity of the target object. But I would expect that the M0 Feather should be fast enough for your application. The M4 of course is even faster.

adafruit_support_bill

by dequerol on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:33 am

adafruit_support_bill wrote:You have not specified what the expected timing requirements are. This will depend on the size and velocity of the target object. But I would expect that the M0 Feather should be fast enough for your application. The M4 of course is even faster.

Thank you for the fast response.

The falling object travels for a maximum distance of just 16 cm downwards (with gravity acceleration), so it has to be pretty accurate.

"The M4 of course is even faster." - There I have my doubt solved!. I'll go for the M4.

Have a nice day,
David

dequerol

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:10 am

With only 16cm to accelerate, the velocity should not be very extreme. So your sensor and processor response time should be able to handle it easily.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.