Gemma M0 circuitpy not loading when connected
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Gemma M0 circuitpy not loading when connected

by ebuckle on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:35 am

If you haven't already, plug your Gemma into your computer using a known-good USB cable.

Make sure your CIRCUITPY drive appears.

DIRECTIONS DO NOT INCLUDE WHAT TO DO IF THE CIRCUITPY drive does NOT show up!
In 5 of the 32 (I have tested) Gemmas, NO circuitpy drive is aooearing!
HAve tried 3 computers, 5 cables, and various USB ports that DO work with my 30 OLDER Gemmas.

ebuckle

Re: Gemma M0 circuitpy not loading when connected

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:49 pm

DIRECTIONS DO NOT INCLUDE WHAT TO DO IF THE CIRCUITPY drive does NOT show up!

We have some info on the troubleshooting page here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... pear-20-12
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... sues-20-20

adafruit_support_carter

by ebuckle on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:39 pm

Thank you but neither articles are relevant or helpful. See why below.

CIRCUITPY Drive Does Not Appear
Kaspersky anti-virus can block the appearance of the CIRCUITPY drive. We haven't yet figured out a settings change that prevents this. Complete uninstallation of Kaspersky fixes the problem.
[b]This does not apply. I do have 30 older GEMMAS completely working on 15 computers. Five out of the 32 NEW Gemmas do not show the circuitpy drive EVER, not from the first plugin and there is a different sound when these GEMMAs are connected , like a thud…..[/b][u][/u]

CIRCUITPY Drive Issues
You may find that you can no longer save files to your CIRCUITPYdrive. You may find that your CIRCUITPY stops showing up in your file explorer (FOR 5 OUT OF THE 32 GEMMAS, CIRCUITPY has NEVER shown up out of the bag…. AND a weird sound like a thud also accompanied when I turned each Gemma on) or shows up as NO_NAME. These are indicators that your filesystem has issues.
First check - have you used Arduino to program your board?
NO
If so, CircuitPython is no longer able to provide the USB services. Reset the board so you get a boardnameBOOT drive rather than a CIRCUITPY drive, copy the latest version of CircuitPython (.uf2) back to the board, then Reset. This may restore CIRCUITPYfunctionality.
If still broken - When the CIRCUITPY disk is not safely ejected before being reset by the button or being disconnected from USB, it may corrupt the flash drive. It can happen on Windows, Mac or Linux.
EJECTING IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH MY 30 OLD GEMMAS.

ebuckle

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:00 pm

Are the "OLDER" Gemmas the older V2 version:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1222
or just an older order of Gemma M0's?

In the "newer" batch of 32 - are they all Gemma M0's?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3501

adafruit_support_carter

by ebuckle on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:46 pm

The new batch are Gemma V2

The old batch are Gemma MO!

I actually didn't know there were 2 different versions.... Can you explain the difference? Do the V2's NOT run circuitpy? I really need them all to work the same way as I am teaching 60 students how to code with them!

CAn I switch them out for the Gemma MO??? I have a deadline and have spent so much time researching how to make this new batch work with no success, PLEASE ASSIST as soon as you can!

ebuckle

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Sorry for the confusion on this. Yes, the Gemma V2's are an older product and they can not run CircuitPython. A deprecation warning was added to the top of the products page to help with this.

CAn I switch them out for the Gemma MO???

Send an email to support@adafruit.com and ask them what your options are on this. These forums are mainly for the technical troubleshooting part of the process. It sounds like we've figured out what is going on - wrong product was ordered.

Sorry again about this. Hope this all works out. Good luck!

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.