Programming the CCL unit in M4 processors
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Programming the CCL unit in M4 processors

by dshadoff on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:17 pm

I have a couple of Adafruit ItsyBitsy M4 Express units, and I just learned that these processors contain a CCL unit - Configurable Custom Logic, which seems to be a sort of CPLD/mini-FPGA inside the main chip.

This unit would be extremely useful for one of my projects.

Is there any information on programming/configuring this unit ?
Is it programmable on this board (since the JTAG port isn't exposed as it would be on a Metro M4 Express) ?

Any information would be appreciated.

dshadoff

Re: Programming the CCL unit in M4 processors

by jayeye on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:13 am

Did you try reading the datasheet? It's all in there.

jayeye

by dshadoff on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:32 pm

Well I suppose that's a technically accurate response, but I was really hoping to learn about tools which could assist with the register-level settings... in much the same way that CPLDs and FPGA's are configured by a tool sythesizing and programming the configuration, rather than expecting the designer to create the synthesis output by hand. The datasheet doesn't reference such tools for CCL.

But in any case, I realized that the CCL on this chip is (a) not complex enough for my application (only 4 LUTs), and has an errata on it where the LUT configuration is corrupted after enabling CCL when using sequential logic. So, I don't need to know anymore.

dshadoff

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:13 am

I'm afraid we don't have any information on programming the SAMD51's configurable logic peripheral. At the moment, the datasheet is the most complete reference we know about.

You might want to check over at Microchip/Atmel to see if they have any whitepapers on that peripheral.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.