STLINK/V2 (different styles/designs)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

STLINK/V2 (different styles/designs)

by MattZentrix on Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:47 pm

I don't know if this is a ....bad question? But I have been trying to wrap my head around STlink style JTAG programmers. I'm planning to use it to modify firmware on Mutable Instruments eurorack synthesizer modules. The most common recommendation that I see is to use "STLINK/V2". However, when I look around online, these vary wildly in cost. Some are like 20$ a piece, some are 120$ a piece, and I find some on alibaba for 5$ a pop. The reason I come here to ask on Adafruit is that Adafruit seems very knowledgeable, and there's a few other pieces I'd like to grab from them at the same time from this site.... so I was hoping to be able to buy this STLINK/V2 item at the same time as my other items. Adafruit seems trustworthy and their ask-an-engineer videos give a lot of confidence that what I'm buying will actually be usable!

But then I see this item: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2548 and although its called "STLINK/V2" it looks vastly different from the other STLINK V2 listings I see online (this smooth blue and white kind of pill shaped box with a USB connection and a JTAG header).

Is this price variation/design variation simply a case of streamlining a device down to its barest essentials? Is the variation in price a matter of quality control and copycats/knock offs? It seems to me like it should be pretty straightforward... there's a USB, a JTAG header... what more is there? As long as Pin A connects to Pin A, then the connection is made and it should just a matter of sending bits over that connection.... right? Or is it far more complex than my noob understanding surmises...?

MattZentrix

Re: STLINK/V2 (different styles/designs)

by franklin97355 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:59 pm

The price difference depends on many of the things you mentioned. The packaging, the additional parts included in the box, the beautiful case, and the quality of the parts and manufacturer. Get one from a company that will stand behind it and you should be OK.

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.