Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Basic Help
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Basic Help

by jboland on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:47 am

Please forgive me; I am new to the Adruino world. So here goes. I am replicating the GPS logging project using a Atmega328. Basically, this is going on livestock in a box on a collar. I would also like to capture data from two temperature sensors and a sunlight sensor. Does the Atmega328 have any logging capabilities after I place the shield on it for the gps? Would I need to go to a Atmega1280? I would ulitmately like to log all the data back to the SD card. If the GPS data was in one file and the other sensor data was in the second it would be great.

Again, my apologies for this basic question to you all and thank anyone that will indulge me a little!
jboland

Re: Basic Help

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:32 am

You should be able to do what you want with an Arduino Duemilanove/328 and the GPS shield.

The GPS tutorial is a good starting point. You should be able to modify the code to log in whatever format you need: http://www.ladyada.net/make/gpsshield/

adafruit_support_bill

by jboland on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:19 pm

Thank you for the reply. I understand the GPS part, but would I still be able log other sensors? I would like two temp sensors and a sensor for sunlight. I was not sure if the Atmega328 had any ports left to log these sensors with the GPS shield on it?

Thank you again.
jboland

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:22 pm

From the tail-end of the GPS Logging part of the tutorial:

One other annoying thing about NMEA is that theres no real standard for embedding sensor information into the data. So I wrote another sketch that will log RMC sentences, split them up into nice comma-seperated-values (CSV) and also log analog inputs 0, 1 and 2 values. Theres pretty much no more space for doing funky sensor processing on the Arduino but with the raw data, you can easily manipulate it on a computer by opening it up in a spreadsheet or data analysis program.

That would cover your three sensors. If you want to do much more, the 1280 certainly has more resources. But you'd have to do a bit of hacking to get the shield to work with it.

adafruit_support_bill

by trialex on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Using ladyada's SD code, I read a GPS sentence, and tack onto the end of it a DS18B20 temperature reading and an brightness reading from an LDR on the analog port.

So yes, you definitely can do this on a '328 based arduino.
trialex

by adafruit on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:16 pm

'328 is perfect. that code was 'squeezed' into a '168 where it barely works (but it does!)

adafruit

by zener on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:17 pm

jboland wrote:this is going on livestock in a box on a collar.

If it works you can probably sell one each to Sandra Bullock and Tiger Wood's wife...

zener

by jboland on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Zener, you made me laugh with Sandra Bullock and Tiger reference!

Thank you all for your replies. Trialex, would you mind sharing how you made that work? Any and all information is very much appreciated.
jboland

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.