Pygamer appears to have died
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pygamer appears to have died

by justindthomas on Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:49 pm

I received the Pygamer this past weekend and set it up with my son. He enjoyed playing the little demo game for a couple of days and we were going to get in to programming it this week. Unfortunately, it appears to have died. The screen doesn't come on at all - the 5 red lights on the bottom of the front are all lit and the D13 LED on the back pulses when it's turned on. The yellow charge light turns on when it's plugged in to USB.

No drive appears on the computer when it's connected to my laptop (I tried clicking "reset" both once and twice to get it to come up). I tried disconnecting the battery since I noticed that another user found that that made a difference. No difference here - screen is dead either way and no storage volume on the connected computer.
Attachments
IMG_20190701_193603.jpg
front
IMG_20190701_193603.jpg (173.82 KiB) Viewed 145 times
IMG_20190701_193618.jpg
back
IMG_20190701_193618.jpg (207.41 KiB) Viewed 145 times

justindthomas

Re: Pygamer appears to have died

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:37 am

Double-check the USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to the computer.

There's plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends, but no wires for the data signals. We see people get caught by them every day.

Just swapping cables doesn't have any diagnostic value. You need the true positive of a working USB connection to rule out the false negative of a charge-only cable.

adafruit_support_mike

by justindthomas on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:12 pm

That seems to be the problem. I grabbed the cable my wireless mouse is connected to (for charging, so I sort of expected it not to work) and the drive came right up and I was able to load a new game to it with no problem.

Any idea how it got into that state where the screen wouldn't come on at all without being plugged in?

justindthomas

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:47 am

I haven't poked around in the source code for that firmware yet, but the all-red NeoPixels look at lot like a diagnostic mode on the Circuit Playground.

The UF2 bootloader gently abuses the USB Mass Storage protocol to talk to the computer, so having a link to the USB host is a basic requirement. The all-red pixels mean the microcontroller can't make that connection, and it would be logical for the board to stop trying to bring up other systems at that point.

I don't know the exact set of conditions that would trip such a response, but I'm glad to hear that swapping the cable got things working. It sucks when new hardware stops doing what it should.

Happy gaming!

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.