Adafruit Trinket M0 will not connect COM port
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit Trinket M0 will not connect COM port

by lessparks on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:18 pm

I bought a couple of Trinket M0 boards, product ID 3500, a week or so ago. I just started learning about Arduino - as in a couple of weeks ago. Both boards connected to a COM port and brought up an Explorer window when connected by USB when I received them. Now, one of them will not connect to a COM port or bring up the Explorer window when connect to USB. Have I broke it? Is there anything I can do to get it to work again?

Using on Windows 10 with Arduino IDE. I installed the Adafruit Drivers for Windows. After spending some time reading this forum and the Adafruit website, it appears I should not have installed these drivers on Windows 10. Please confirm this. I have also not configure Board Manager correctly. I will do this ASAP.

Thanks for the help.

lessparks

Re: Adafruit Trinket M0 will not connect COM port

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:00 pm

Just to check, are you using the same USB cable for both of them?

There's a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends but no wires for the data signals. We see people get caught by them every day.

On an alternate track, does the Trinket M0's red LED pulse when you double-click the reset button?

adafruit_support_mike

by lessparks on Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:43 am

Yes, same USB cable for both. I tried the double click on the reset button last night and that seemed to work. I was able to download a simple test sketch to both Trinket M0's.

I am still confused about what I am seeing when I select the board type in IDE. The only Adafruit entries I see are "Adafruit Circuit Playground" and "Adafruit Circuit Playground Express." Searching this forum, I see screen shots where others have each of the Adafruit devices listed in the board list. Should I be seeing "Adafruit Trinket M0" in the list? I used "Adafruit Circuit Playground Express" for loading the test sketch mentioned above.

lessparks

by franklin97355 on Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Have you gone into the Boards Manager and installed the Adafruit SAMD and Arduino SAMD board packages?

franklin97355

by lessparks on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Yes, I did not have any Adafruit devices listed before installing the Arduino SAMD and Adafruit SAMD board packages. Now I just have the two Adafruit Circuit Playground entries.

lessparks

by franklin97355 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Do you have a section in the boards manager titled "Adafruit SAMD"?
Attachments
2018-09-04_17h04_13.png
2018-09-04_17h04_13.png (21.12 KiB) Viewed 91 times

franklin97355

by lessparks on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Well, I feel like a goofball. I confirmed that I did not have a section in the board manager for "Adafruit SAMD". I thought I had installed it. I went to Boards Manager and found that I installed two sets of Arduino SAMD drivers. I searched for Adafruit and no SAMD drivers were found. I went to Preferences and found that I had mistyped the URL in the "Additional Boards Manager" field. Fixed the URL, installed the Adafruit SAMD boards, and I think it is now fixed.

Thanks for the help.

lessparks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.