๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday January 20, 2020 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday January 17 will go out Tuesday January 21 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

Integrating the Teensy's 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Integrating the Teensy's 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4

by wpardis on Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:47 am

I want to integrate the 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4 on the Teensy 3.2, onto my own board. Can anyone help me out with the hardware and software requirements to do so?

My only experience in this area is I have integrating the ATmega328p on a number of my own boards in the past. This required things you do not have to think about when using development platforms like the Arduino, such as, not having a boot-loader pre-installed and the minimum hardware requirements like a resonator and bypass capacitors.

I am a electrical engineer and at a oceanographic research institute we rarely have time to comfortable re-iterate designs, therefore we often just settle with the dev. boards, but in most cases space is a very precious commodity. In my experience integrating these SOCs can be relatively straight forward and offer a lot of power in a project, but there are details that are abstracted when just using the Dev. boards so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

WAP

wpardis

Re: Integrating the Teensy's 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4

by franklin97355 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:17 am

Make sure you are also posting in the PJRC forums.

franklin97355

Re: Integrating the Teensy's 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4

by westfw on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:54 pm

A relevant detail for the Teensy ARM boards is that they don't actually have a bootloader programmed into the main ARM.
Instead, there is a companion "boot helper" chip which AFAICT detects upload attempts, copies a bootloader into RAM of the main ARM (using JTAG/SWD or "EzPort"), and runs it (from RAM) to do the actual upload. (I think it's really clever!)

Both the helper-chip firmware and the bootloader are proprietary to PJRC, though. Not Open Source. For a pro or semi-pro board, you should be able to replace this with more traditional bootloaders or simple JTAG/SWD programming, or apparently you can buy the helper chip from PJRC. I wouldn't call it a show-stopper, but it's something to be aware of.
westfw

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.