Integrating the Teensy's 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Integrating the Teensy's 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4

by wpardis on Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:47 am

I want to integrate the 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4 on the Teensy 3.2, onto my own board. Can anyone help me out with the hardware and software requirements to do so?

My only experience in this area is I have integrating the ATmega328p on a number of my own boards in the past. This required things you do not have to think about when using development platforms like the Arduino, such as, not having a boot-loader pre-installed and the minimum hardware requirements like a resonator and bypass capacitors.

I am a electrical engineer and at a oceanographic research institute we rarely have time to comfortable re-iterate designs, therefore we often just settle with the dev. boards, but in most cases space is a very precious commodity. In my experience integrating these SOCs can be relatively straight forward and offer a lot of power in a project, but there are details that are abstracted when just using the Dev. boards so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

WAP

wpardis

Re: Integrating the Teensy's 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4

by franklin97355 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:17 am

Make sure you are also posting in the PJRC forums.

franklin97355

Re: Integrating the Teensy's 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4

by westfw on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:54 pm

A relevant detail for the Teensy ARM boards is that they don't actually have a bootloader programmed into the main ARM.
Instead, there is a companion "boot helper" chip which AFAICT detects upload attempts, copies a bootloader into RAM of the main ARM (using JTAG/SWD or "EzPort"), and runs it (from RAM) to do the actual upload. (I think it's really clever!)

Both the helper-chip firmware and the bootloader are proprietary to PJRC, though. Not Open Source. For a pro or semi-pro board, you should be able to replace this with more traditional bootloaders or simple JTAG/SWD programming, or apparently you can buy the helper chip from PJRC. I wouldn't call it a show-stopper, but it's something to be aware of.
westfw

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.