Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

How to? and R4&R7?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

How to? and R4&R7?

by toddbg on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Hello - I finally got around to putting the kit together.
Great instructions on how to assemble the kit! I had no issues soldering.
However, I mistakenly soldered R4 and R7. will I still be able to program chips or will I need to attempt to remove these?

Also - now that I have built the programmer and a ATTiny25 header board from Tinkerlog I am unclear of what the next step to test to make sure everything is working.

Could someone provide a simple test circuit to breadboard and a hex file or C file and instructions to make sure everything is working correctly?
I'm a bit lost at the moment here.

Thank you very much.
--
Todd
toddbg

Re: How to? and R4&R7?

by adafruit on Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:29 pm

you can always short out R4 and R7 which you may need to do

we have some very basic information about AVR programming
http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/
and of course on the usbtinyisp website
but now would be a good time to pick up a book on how to program AVR microcontrollers :)

adafruit

Re: How to? and R4&R7?

by Entropy on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:10 am

toddbg wrote:Hello - I finally got around to putting the kit together.
Great instructions on how to assemble the kit! I had no issues soldering.
However, I mistakenly soldered R4 and R7. will I still be able to program chips or will I need to attempt to remove these?

Also - now that I have built the programmer and a ATTiny25 header board from Tinkerlog I am unclear of what the next step to test to make sure everything is working.

Could someone provide a simple test circuit to breadboard and a hex file or C file and instructions to make sure everything is working correctly?
I'm a bit lost at the moment here.

Thank you very much.
--
Todd

I used to have a basic "blink test" for the TinyX5s but I don't think I have a copy any more. I do have an example project for the TinyX5s, however it is pretty difficult to test it without an I2C master of some sort, so you should start with something simpler.

I'd suggest compiling one of the basic avr-libc tutorials. One of these includes a basic "blink test".

As an example of what can be done with a Tiny, see http://github.com/Entropy512/I2C_RGB - However this isn't a good project for a beginner:
1) It maxes out the Tiny's I/O, you need to disconnect the I2C bus to reprogram it.
2) To test it, you need to drive the I2C bus with something
3) It has reliability problems, there's something in that I2C slave implementation that will cause AVR-based I2C masters to hang. (Or at least, for the TWI hardware to get stuck in a state where it never reports itself as "done".)
Entropy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.