Audio FX Sound Board usb crash

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Sebasmusic

Audio FX Sound Board usb crash

Post by Sebasmusic »

After successfully working with this thing, i tried copying new files to the usb which worked perfectly before. This time the usb said to be "not ejected correctly" since on mac you need to drop it to the trashcan first. I did this, but this device immediately comes back on your screen after you do that. That being said. The samples didn't work so i plugged it back to my computer and then it said "Cant read this device". After a while of not being able to fix this i format the usb and now it's accecable again as usb. But it's not playing samples.

What format do i need to make it work again? Mac only has ExFAT or ms-dos (FAT) since i guess it wouldnt be any mac ones. Or doesnt it matter?

Did i destroy this thing by formatting the memory?

Hope i can use it again soon :)

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Audio FX Sound Board usb crash

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

OS X is picky about properly unmounting media before you disconnect it. Selecting the drive and hitting CMD-E should work.

Make sure you empty the trash before hitting CMD-E and unplugging the FX Board. Modern OSes don't delete files outright, they just move them to a hidden folder so you can recover them if you throw one away by mistake. The VS1000's firmware isn't smart enough to know about hidden folders though, so it will still see all the tracks you think you've replaced. Emptying the trash actually deletes the files from the catalog tree, and will force the VS1000 to find the new ones.

Damaging the FX Board by unplugging without unmounting is rare, but it's possible to scramble the filesystem on the memory chip. You can fix that by writing the original disk images back to the device in Disk Utility if necessary. The files are in the Downloads section of the FX Board tutorial:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... /downloads

Sebasmusic

Post by Sebasmusic »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I cant write the image to the disk. It gives me errors and says it failed. Maybe because i allready format the disk to something else than FAT12. I dont know if this is the issue. But i'm unable to write that image. Do i need a special program for that? since fat12 is not common.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You shouldn't need to format the FX Board. Just write the disk image to the raw device using the Restore button.

The disk image is a bit-for-bit copy of a complete filesystem. All the formatting is already done, it just needs to be copied into the FX Board's Flash chip.

Sebasmusic

Post by Sebasmusic »

As i said i already format the disk to FAT16 since i didn't know there was a mirror available to fix this.
So the disk is now FAT16. If i try to replace the disk with the mirror it says:

Could not validate source (OSStatus fout 22.)

so i'm stuck with a disk thats FAT16. i can format it to anything my mac allows but replacing it with the mirror doesnt work.

Any ideas?

bearings

Post by bearings »

I am having the exact same problem, I forgot there was an image to restore and just erased/formatted as FAT16. Now when I try to restore with the image I get the error:

Validating target...
Validating source...
Could not validate source - Invalid argument
The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 22.)

Operation failed…

bearings

Post by bearings »

I think I resolved it by just using

Code: Select all

dd
and skipping Disk Utility

Sebasmusic

Post by Sebasmusic »

bearings wrote:I think I resolved it by just using

dd
and skipping Disk Utility
Hey man, i only see "dd"

Can you tell me what you did? I'm still stuck

bearings

Post by bearings »

Be sure /dev/disk2 is in fact your sound board before running this, but here is what I ran (also substitute your path to the SFX16mb.img accordingly).

sudo dd if=/Users/benrigas/Downloads/SFX16mb.img of=/dev/disk2 bs=1m
After running this I was able to copy my files over as expected and it works fine! Something about the Disk Utility image verification wasn't happy.

Sebasmusic

Post by Sebasmusic »

bearings wrote:Be sure /dev/disk2 is in fact your sound board before running this, but here is what I ran (also substitute your path to the SFX16mb.img accordingly).

sudo dd if=/Users/benrigas/Downloads/SFX16mb.img of=/dev/disk2 bs=1m
After running this I was able to copy my files over as expected and it works fine! Something about the Disk Utility image verification wasn't happy.
Hey man, After a long time i tried today. Unfortunately it didnt work...
If i do this comment: if=/Users/sebastiaan/Desktop/SFX16mb.img of=/dev/disk2 bs=1m
nothing happens.. just a new line..
I tried different location but nothing happens.
Also i read unmounting de disk firt using: diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
But no difference in using your command afterwards..

Any idea what i'm doing wrong? its the same backup file from the site as you used i guess..

bearings

Post by bearings »

Don’t forget the “sudo dd” in front, the command is all one line

Sebasmusic

Post by Sebasmusic »

bearings wrote:Don’t forget the “sudo dd” in front, the command is all one line
IT WORKS! i indeed didnt know it was part of the command.

Thanks u so much for your fast respons. thanks thanks thanks! u da best

Gankiskhan

Post by Gankiskhan »

I followed this and successfully mounted my disk image through the terminal. You have to make sure your paths are correct and every word is spelled right and your commands are absolutely correct. mess one letter up and it wont work. Terminal is unforgiving of those of us with fat fingers or poor typing skills.

Still I did end up with some issues. I had trouble loading files and the Mac not recognizing the board. Sometimes it showed up after restarting sometimes it didn't. When it did I could not load anything onto it and the load screen stalled and I got the spinning ball of death.

I did find a super simple solution. If you use a poor quality cable you will have issues. If you do not connect DIRECTLY to the computers USB, you will have problems. 100% of my problems were solved by connecting directly to the computer with a high quality USB mini USB cable that has data and charging capabilities. It was literally that easy. Mind you I spent a day cussing and trying everything but the simple solution proved to be the best one. I hope this saves someone time and aggravation. I'm excited to continue my project!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”