Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

has anyone targeted a arm processor using gcc if so
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

has anyone targeted a arm processor using gcc if so

by josheeg on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:07 pm

has anyone targeted a arm processor using gcc if so how is it different from changing the target device if I allready compiled something for the arduino?

The maple by leaf labs is not fast enough to do the code I found in real time.
josheeg

Re: has anyone targeted a arm processor using gcc if so

by franklin97355 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:50 pm

franklin97355

by westfw on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:21 am

You need a separate copy of the compiler that produces ARM code, along with all the associated tools (assembler, objdump, etc) and libraries (both internal libraries like libgcc and "standard" libraries like libc.) The libraries in particular vary by execution environment (linux on ARM, standalone, etc) as well as processor type. There may be some parts that are the same between different CPUs, but the usual practice is to have a separate copy of everything.
If you're lucky, you'll find a pre-built set of images that provides the mix you need; otherwise you face a rather confusing build-from-source of a cross compiler.
There are reasonable instructions for this here: http://wiki.osdev.org/GCC_Cross-Compiler

westfw

by josheeg on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:36 am

Well I found this so far.
Leaflabs made a arm 3 board called the maple and here is their tool chain and has examples for compiling by command line.
http://leaflabs.com/docs/libmaple/unix-toolchain/
So looking at this would I need more specific differences aside from target difference in make file?
josheeg

by westfw on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:58 am

Yes. Best to think of it as needing a whole new set of compiler tools, even though it'll still be called "gcc"...

westfw

by josheeg on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:04 pm

Ok so even with a arm gcc compiler targeting a different one of the arm family is tougher than just selecting a different "target"
josheeg

by adshea on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:38 pm

I've done some on arm-linux-uclibc and it worked quite easily as GCC's frontend is all the same. As to the OP's question, it should be pretty easy so long as you can find a toolchain and library setup for your ARM chip/board. The other problem you might run into is translating Arduino macros into real code. If you've just been using the Arduino as an AVR dev board with normal code you should be fine.

adshea

by jasper on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 pm

FWIW, the "Programming Embedded Systems" book from O'Reilly is a pretty good introduction to embedded development with GCC and other GNU tools for ARM, and embedded programming in general. Their target is a pxa255-based board, but the techniques and theory are valid for non-ARM systems too.
jasper

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.