Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Programming using Arduino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Programming using Arduino

by mitpatterson on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Not sure if this goes under microntrollers or Ardino forum, if this is the wrong one let me know.

I've tried googling this and haven't found any noob frindly guides, My expience with electronics if soldering and i've been messing around with a arudino latley, so if somone can help me get started or point me to a guide that would be appreciated.

What i'm looing to do is program the chip from the TV-B-Gone both a blank one and possibly modifying ones from adafruit. the chip(just so you don't have to look it up) is the Atmel ATTINY85V-10PU, its a 8 Pin chip, I don't have a lot programing stuff and don't really want to have to buy a lot more stuff so i could program/modify them using an aurdino somehow, that would be great. and if its not possible or too hard, if you could tell me what you would recommend from a programer, like the USB Tiny programer or not sure if the new FTDI friend would work, or what i need, as i stated i'm a noob when i comes to this.

mitpatterson

Re: Programming using Arduino

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:53 am

adafruit_support_bill

by mitpatterson on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:00 am

perfect timing that solves a few questions, so if i want to program a raw chip like from mouser, i need the usbtiny, but if i want to modifiy it i need like the ftdi? or can i use the usbtiny to do both? and what about using what i already have(an arduino) she touched on the fact that it has the FTDI chip in on i. And what about putting a bootloader on a chip? do i use the stuff on the ladyada.net site or is that the firmware? i'm still trying to learn these terms.

mitpatterson

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:12 am

I haven't done a lot of raw-device programming myself, so I don't know the answer to all your questions. But there are a number of relevant blog posts filed under "AVR Development": http://www.adafruit.com/blog/category/avrdevelopment/

adafruit_support_bill

by mitpatterson on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:47 pm

now does anyone know if i would buy like the FTDI friend could that modify the code and also burn raw chips or jut modify the firmware?

mitpatterson

by hlantz on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:57 am

mitpatterson wrote:now does anyone know if i would buy like the FTDI friend could that modify the code and also burn raw chips or jut modify the firmware?

Burn a blank chip with a precompiled firmware image: USBtinyISP
Burn the Arduino boot loader to a blank chip: USBtinyISP
You can't use the USBtinyISP to write sketches from the Arduino IDE to a microcontroller running the Arduino bootloader. (You require a serial connection to the Arduino to do this, and the USBtinyISP does not create this for you).

Modify firmware on a chip with Arduino bootloader running that is NOT on an Arduino board: FTDI friend or FTDI TTL-232 cable (this includes chips on a BoArduino)

Modify firmware on a chip with Arduino bootloader running that is on a Duemilanove or similar: standard USB cable, the Arduino has an on-board FTDI chip.

Hope that helps?

hlantz

by chankster on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:11 pm

Since you've got an Arduino, why not use mega-isp?
http://code.google.com/p/mega-isp/
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?

chankster

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.