pyportal titano won't go into bootloader mode
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

pyportal titano won't go into bootloader mode

by fredmb on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:39 pm

The PyPortal Titano that just arrived in order 2466520-3421373038 won't go into bootloader mode. The status light turns and remains red, and the ACT light blinks.

I've tried two different USB cables, both of which work just fine with a QTPY, meaning I just verified I can get the QTPY into bootloader mode with them. I did set up the QTPY for circuit python some time ago.

I've tried both a windows 10 desktop and a windows 10 laptop. I've even tried connecting through a powered hub. No Joy. Windows does give a USB tone when the pyportal is first plugged in but of course doesn't bring up any drives.

Reset with a single click seems fine. A single click gets out of the solid red status state and goes back to giving the tone from the board and showing blinka on the screen.

Suggestions?

fredmb

Re: pyportal titano won't go into bootloader mode

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:51 pm

A USB cable issue seems most likely, but your check with QTPY seems to rule that out.

Windows does give a USB tone when the pyportal is first plugged in but of course doesn't bring up any drives.

Can you check what shows up in Device Manager at this point? It seems like Windows is at least seeing and doing something.

adafruit_support_carter

by fredmb on Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:21 pm

I thought when first trying I had heard a windows USB tone. In subsequent attempts I have not. I may have mistaken the Titano's tones for the windows tone early on.

I have also looked at device manager in case a com port miraculously showed up. It did not.

fredmb

by adafruit2 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:21 am

what if you flip the USB C cable 180?

adafruit2
Site Admin

by fredmb on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:02 pm

No joy.

I have tried this with 2 different cables Adafruit cables on 4 USB ports spread across 2 different machines without success previously but I did try what you suggested. Same behavior. Solid red status blinking red by cable. Single click reliably resets.

fredmb

by adafruit2 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:13 pm

was worth a shot :)
email support@adafruit with a link to this thread to get a new titano

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.