RP2040 Boards and RFM69HCW radio with C++
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

RP2040 Boards and RFM69HCW radio with C++

by pnp57 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:12 am

Hello, Does anyone know if I'll be able to use any of the RP2040 based boards with an RFM69HCW radio breakout from within a C++ program? I realise it's early days at the moment, but looking on the Radiohead page there is no mention of this chip.
Any pointers at all would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Colin.

pnp57

Re: RP2040 Boards and RFM69HCW radio with C++

by mikeysklar on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:31 pm

You will not have any guides to walk you through the process, but the RFM69 is an SPI device. The usual connects from the Feather M0 would be as follows and you will need to adapt to appropriate pins for the RP2040:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
 Board 3V to radio VIN
Board GND to radio GND
Board SCK to radio SCK
Board MOSI to radio MOSI
Board MISO to radio MISO
Board D5 to radio CS (or any other digital I/O pin)
Board D6 to radio RST (or any other digital I/O pin)

mikeysklar

by pnp57 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:25 pm

Many thanks for that - very helpful indeed.
My other nconcern is with the library support to enable a user written C++ program to interact with the features that these radio boards have. It looks as if currently the options are:
C++ on an Arduino (non RP2040) - full RFM69 library support. But the Arduino board does not have the features of the RP2040. And I have 2 Pico's!
MicroPython - limited library support AND MP does not support IRQ (which I need). And I want to learn C++, not MP.

C++ on a RP2040 board (Pico/Feather etc.) - ?? This is what I'd like (in an ideal world of course). And to head off the inevitable suggestion, I do not have anywhere NEAR the knowledge or skills to write or modify such a library!

Even if someone comes back with a "no", this would help as I can then plan around it.

pnp57

by mikeysklar on Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:56 pm

Keep in mind that we are more focused on the CircuitPython side than the MicroPython side. Still not a fit for you no interrupts and not C++.

Try and see how far you get with the Arduino IDE using the RP2040. It looks pretty well supported from the Arduino side. I do not think you need to do much besides maybe define some processor parametes in the RFM69 headers and translate the SPI setup to your Pico GPIOs.

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.