Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

EMS Minimalist Target Board Problem
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

EMS Minimalist Target Board Problem

by manicotti on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:45 pm

So I just finished building one of the target boards described in http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/avrtargetboards, using an ATTiny85v chip. I'm also using the USBtiny programmer. My problem is that when I plug the programmer into the board, the connection initialization keeps failing due to an "invalid device signature." The actual signature shows up as 0x000000, which makes me think that I've got a cold solder joint in the board somewhere.

But that brings me to my main question - what exactly am I supposed to do with pins 2 and 3 of the socket/ATTiny? They don't have any corresponding pins on the ISP header, so right now they're just hanging out as is. EMS says they should be "wired up" but doesn't really clarify what that means. Should I solder them into the adjacent pins (Pins 1 and 4 being Reset and Ground, respectively)?

For what it's worth, this is a screencap of the command line results. Any feedback you can offer is appreciated.
Attachments
System Failure.png
System Failure.png (53.86 KiB) Viewed 1552 times

manicotti

Re: EMS Minimalist Target Board Problem

by mtbf0 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:41 pm

for programming, pins 2 and 3 need not be connected to anything.

are you powering the chip or counting on the usbtiny to do it? there is a jumper on the ustiny to enable powering the board.

make sure of the orientation of the cable from the programmer to your target.

grab a meter and check continuity.
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

by mtbf0 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:45 pm

uh, you're telling avrdude that you're programming an atmega8. you might try changing "m8" on the command line to "t85". of course, the fact that the device signature is 0x000000 is still discouraging.
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

by mtbf0 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:46 pm

mtbf0 wrote:uh, you're telling avrdude that you're programming an atmega8. you might try changing "m8" on the command line to "t85". of course, the fact that the device signature is showing up 0x000000 is still discouraging.
mtbf0

by manicotti on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:01 am

well, I feel stupid. XD I was relying on the programmer to put in power to the board, but I had forgotten the jumper. Also, yes, changing the "m8" to "t85" seemed to have been the issue, as avrdude now recognizes the chip. I hadn't realized what that was for. Thanks a ton for your help!

manicotti

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.