FX Sound Board Unwanted Sound Loop when using the Tnn.wav/og

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mathdude2014

FX Sound Board Unwanted Sound Loop when using the Tnn.wav/og

Post by mathdude2014 »

Referencing the description on this page: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... ring-audio

The Tnn.wav/ogg "basic" trigger acts like the TnnHOLDL trigger on my board. For example, using the default sound effects it came with, pin2 which is supposedly the basic trigger is said to play the sound file once and stop. The direct quote from the referenced page says, "The first type is the 'basic trigger' - when the button is pressed, audio plays. The entire file is played from beginning to end once," but you'll notice that if you just hold down the button, then it will just play that wav file over and over. So there really is no difference between the "hold loop" trigger and the "basic" trigger from this observation. Implying they are different triggers is a bit misleading.

I recently purchased the sound board for a DIY project, and am disappointed in that effect. The goal was to have one type of sound play when a button is pressed (looping), while another sound effect plays only once when the button is released. This can be achieved using other methods, using microcontrollers, or a clever setup of logic gates, but I'd much rather actually see if there's an alternative fix to this.

I found one fairly old discussion related to this that had less than ideal responses, hence I'm creating a fresh post to get some amount of attention to this. See viewtopic.php?f=24&t=95929.
The suggested action from that post was to use the Trinket microcontroller (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3500), but I hesitate to make another purchase until I hear back from people who probably already came up with their own solution to this.

If you experienced the same issue and tried different methods, then I ask what was your best solution?

Side topic: I can't seem to download the 2MB image from the referenced website. I can download the 16MB image just fine (which is not the product I have), so I can rule out issues with a firewall or adblocker of sorts.

dastels

Re: FX Sound Board Unwanted Sound Loop when using the Tnn.wa

Post by dastels »

The basic trigger plays the entire file, the holdl trigger plays the file while the trigger is held low, stopping when the trigger goes high.

Connecting switches works fine for simple trigger usage (push a button, play a sound) but for anything more complicated a microcontroller is the way to go. TrinketM0 is a good solution, as is the QtPy (which is essentially an evolved Trinket).

Dave

mathdude2014

Post by mathdude2014 »

I see what you mean. I'll check out that TrinkM0. Although I wish it had been setup so that a Tnn file would play the sound once even if the trigger is held low. Attempting a reprogram seems too complicated according to some of the other posts too (if you feel that there is a better, more comprehensive guide to reprogramming it, please feel free to share -- some of the other forum posts are a bit convoluted though).

Also, did you happen to see that issue with the 2MB download? Check it out here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... /downloads.
I tried it again today, but still it won't download. Having that available in case it's needed would be nice.

Thanks.

dastels

Post by dastels »

You mean the 2M download at https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... /downloads?

It just downloaded/opened fine for me.

Dave

mathdude2014

Post by mathdude2014 »

Yes, if I click it nothing happens. The 16MB link seems to work just fine. Would you be able to attach it to this post?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”