Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Can't upload to Arduino Uno
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Can't upload to Arduino Uno

by mattmcp on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:14 am

I cannot seem to upload code to my new Uno.

When I first plugged in the Arduino to USB the onboard LED was flashing so I assume it was running the blink program. Makes sense.

I then ran Arduino 0021 (on Vista). My first attempt at uploading code was the Button example. It compiled fine and it seems that the upload at least started because the rx/tx LEDs blinked a bunch of times. But the software said that the upload failed.

I checked that the serial port and the board settings were correct and tried again with the same result. I tried a bunch of other examples and got the same result. I tried all the relevant steps in the Arduino troubleshooting guide without success and gave up on Windows after many more attempts and then reading Vista could be problematic for Arduino.

I downloaded an Ubuntu 10.04 VM and tried that thinking that surely Linux couldn't foul up a simple serial port. Downloaded arduino 0021, a Java runtime, gcc-avr and the avr libs. I compiled the Blink example just fine. Selected /dev/ttyACM0 and Arduino Uno. Tried an upload. Nope.

"avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

Ran 'sudo usermod -aG dialout vmplanet' (which makes sense) and tried again. Same problem.

I've read that this error may point to a hardware problem. Now I know that an RMA is typically the easy answer but I have tried everything I could think of. Did I miss anything?

Here's a shot of verbose output:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattmcp/5095784256/
mattmcp

Re: Can't upload to Arduino Uno

by adafruit on Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:04 pm

did you ever get it to program anything?
lets stick to one OS for now :)
what happens if you press reset button?
do the RX/TX still blink when you try to upload?

adafruit

by mattmcp on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:46 pm

I managed to upload the blink program once today under Linux. I'm sticking with Linux going forward. I'm not sure what I did differently to get the program to upload today. The process worked once and failed dozens of times.

I've never been able to upload a program using Windows.

When I press the reset button the onboard LED flashes three times. I have tried pressing the reset button before and after an upload. Hasn't helped. Here's what a typical attempt looks like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattmcp/5097635061/

No tx/rx.

I always make sure there's nothing plugged into the Arduino when I upload (except the USB cable).
mattmcp

by chatham on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:15 pm

I don't know if this is true on the Uno, but on the Mega I've been using for the last week or so, I've notice that the LED also blinks on reset. So it might not be the case that it was actually running blink, it was instead actually just resetting itself. Try and time the blinks so you can see if the timing is consistent with the blink program you loaded's delays - count how long it takes to blink 10 times to get a good measurement. One thing you might try and do if it's blinking still is plug it into a different computer if you can, or plug it into external power. That will at least remove the possibility that your USB port isn't able to give the Arduino enough power, and so it's resetting when it hits the brownout level (2.7V on the Arduino's default chip settings).

I highly doubt it would be the case as well, but try programming it just after you plug in the Arduino to the USB port - if somehow the watchdog timer got setup somewhere, that would also cause endless resetting, leading to a blinking.
OpenChord.org - Open Source kits to let you play Guitar Hero with a real guitar, or build your own Wii/PS3/USB controllers.

chatham

by adafruit on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:15 pm

are you using the right COM port? make sure you have nothing else plugged in that could be confusing

if thats not it we should replace it - email support@adafruit to get a replacement

adafruit

by mattmcp on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Alan:

If it was resetting itself repeatedly that'd definitely pose a problem. But, I'm confident it was running blink when I initially plugged it in days ago. The flicker of the LED on reset is quite different.

According to my multimeter, it's getting 5v from my USB port.

Ada:

It's the right COM port (and I've tried them all multiple times) and nothing else is plugged into the board. I've emailed support@
mattmcp

by chatham on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:41 am

Dang, I'm sorry that it's not an easy problem to figure out..
Looks like someone else is having some issues, too, which is unfortunate. It would certainly be sad if there's a batch of broken Uno's out in the wild...
OpenChord.org - Open Source kits to let you play Guitar Hero with a real guitar, or build your own Wii/PS3/USB controllers.

chatham

by adafruit on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:52 am

Alan Chatham wrote:Dang, I'm sorry that it's not an easy problem to figure out..
Looks like someone else is having some issues, too, which is unfortunate. It would certainly be sad if there's a batch of broken Uno's out in the wild...

one or two isn't not a batch - so far it's been about the same as previous arduinos a few units die after they are tested by arduino and shipped to resellers. we replace them at our cost immediately, provide support here around the clock and answer support emails almost instantly. we've had 4 iphone die on us, we wish apple had service like ours :)

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.