learning to program
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

learning to program

by bikr7549 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:53 pm

Hi,
I am working on a bicycle project that looks like it will need some data acquisition done on it. Current thinking is for 2-3 hall effect sensors to measure rotational speed of the wheels and crank, either a few potentiometers with a linkage to measure suspension displacement or possibly a time of flight sensor (2), lean, pitch and heading angles, and something to measure steering rotation angle. GPS might work for speed and heading but I still need to know how fast the wheels are turning. Data capture speed isn't all that high, 30-50 Hz would be fine. A real time clock is also needed. Individual test duration is up to a few minutes.

I have some experience with most of the electronics for this. My programming background is limited to PBASIC using the parallax Stamp, which does not seem up to the task for this.

I am looking for recommendations as to which microcontroller would be suitable for this, as well the language to be used and a resource to learn this. I have looked at a few of the block type programs and while I can see that they have a value, right now I am thinking that that route is not the one I want to take.

If you have an y suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
Bob

bikr7549

Re: learning to program

by dastels on Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:17 pm

It sounds like CircuitPython might be a good fit for you. That would mean a reasonably capable controller. Given your project, a SAMD51 (aka "M4") or nRF52840 board would be good choices. They both have a fair bit of ram which CircuitPython likes. An nRF52840 has more ram but runs a little slower (but also has bluetooth support)

A Feather M4 Express is a good option. Feather nRF52840 Express if you'd like the bluetooth capability. An express board will be important as you will probably want the larger flash filesystem for storing collected data. If you need more space, you'll probably want to add an SDcard breakout.

Feathers have the advantage of having onboard LiPo battery support circuitry including a charger. You can either stack wings or use a doubler, tripler, quad baseboard to mount them.

There are plenty of tutorials fior CircuitPython and using it with various hardware on https://learn.adafruit.com/

Dave

dastels

Re: learning to program

by bikr7549 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55 am

Great Dave, and thank you very much. I will take a look at these suggestions.

Bob

bikr7549

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.