Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

AVR Programmer
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

AVR Programmer

by musicalmechanic on Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:06 pm

I purchased a serial port programmer (DASA) from adafruit, and it came with a 10 pin cable, and I assumed that it would be usable on my 6 pin board. The error message says that there is no communication no matter how I hook it up. HELP, adafruit sells a 6/10 pin programmer with dual
cables and I need either an adapter or a cable that has a 6 pin on the board end.
DSCF0147.JPG
This is the board and the 6 male pin connect.
DSCF0147.JPG (448.79 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
musicalmechanic

Re: AVR Programmer

by adafruit on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:01 pm

that is correct, you cannot use the 10-pin cable to program a 6-pin ISP connected chip

you can make an adapter by looking at http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article ... rgetboards or purchase a programmer that has a 6 pin cable.

adafruit

by stinkbutt on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29 pm

If you don't really feel like going out & buying anything you can always just kludge together a 6-pin connection from the 10-pin connector. As you can see:

...the 10 pin doesn't actually offer anything the 6 pin doesn't have. It just have an extra 3 ground pins and 1 unconnected pin. Just jam some jumpers into the female header off your programmer and poke them into your breadboard or, in this case, solder them to the 6-pin connector you've got poking up. Not a beautiful solution but all it costs you is 6 jumper wires & about a penny's worth of solder.
Red M&M, Blue M&M: They all wind up the same color

stinkbutt

by musicalmechanic on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks for the advise everyone-perrrrreciate it!
musicalmechanic

by musicalmechanic on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Help again!
My programmer won't work and my professor says that it isn't supposed to with the particular
configuration that I have. I'm confused because we are using the ATMEL AVR programmer at
school and my board works fine with the school's, however the DASA programmer I purchased from Adafruit is apparently not the right kind for this config. My prof claims that it is lacking a
microchip and that the DASA is either a synchronous or asynchronous (I forget which he said)
and I needed the other one. The item description said that it would work with a serial port
programmer (which is what the school is using) and the AT Mega 16 chip that we are using is in
the list of compatible chips. I'm lost and need a steer please, thank-you.
Musicalmechanic
musicalmechanic

by adafruit on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:21 pm

how are you programming it, what software are you using.
the programmer can absolutely program atmeag16 but ONLY with a serial port AND avrdude

adafruit

by westfw on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:50 pm

My prof claims that it is lacking a microchip

Normally a device programmer would require a microchip, but the DASA style programmers manage to work by using the CPU in your computer instead. This is somewhat sensitive to the nature of the serial port and its support on your particular computer, but you are more likely to be having a setup, misconfiguration, or usage problem. It SHOULD work...

westfw

by musicalmechanic on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:55 pm

We are using Code Vision AVR v 2.04.8a with an AVRISP 2 Programmer. The textbook is
Embedded C Programming and the Atmel AVR by Barnett, Cox, and O'cull
musicalmechanic

by musicalmechanic on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:58 pm

I've taken my programmer to school and after using the AVRISP 2 programmer successfully,
I hooked up the DASA and the computer said that there was no communication with the chip.
musicalmechanic

by adafruit on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:16 pm

you need to use avrdude to program the chip with dasa
if you are required to use specific software that is not avrdude it will not work
if your course requires using codelite which only works with the avrisp 2 you should buy avrisp 2

on the phone we asked you specifically what this is needed for, it appears your course requires something other than the kit you bought. please email support@adafruit.com - we'll continue this "offline" as they say.

thanks,
adafruit

adafruit

by musicalmechanic on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:26 pm

Are you saying that the USBtinyISP won't work?
musicalmechanic

by adafruit on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:26 pm

musicalmechanic wrote:Are you saying that the USBtinyISP won't work?

likely not, you need to use avrdude to program the chip with dasa
if you are required to use specific software that is *not avrdude* it will not work
if your course requires using codelite which only works with the avrisp 2 *you should buy avrisp 2*

on the phone we asked you specifically what this is needed for, it appears your course requires something other than the kit you bought. please email support@adafruit.com - we'll continue this "offline" as they say.

adafruit

by musicalmechanic on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Incidentally, the recommendation of Adafruit for the Mad Evil Scientist's cable conversion is in
conflict with the textbook (p.487) on the 10 pin IDE header pinout schematic.
musicalmechanic

by adafruit on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:32 pm

musicalmechanic wrote:Incidentally, the recommendation of Adafruit for the Mad Evil Scientist's cable conversion is in
conflict with the textbook (p.487) on the 10 pin IDE header pinout schematic.

this thread is closed now - we've contacted you via email, thanks.

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.