Feather Bluefruit LE is not working

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Desjul20

Feather Bluefruit LE is not working

Post by Desjul20 »

I tried everything it said on the help page and I am able to get the bootloader port after double pressing the reset button. I uploaded the Blink example and the com port is still not showing. I made sure it's not an USB 3 or a charge only by using it on an Arduino and it shows the port for the Arduino. I reinstalled the Firmware and factory reset it but it still doesn't work. Is there a way to make it work again?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Feather Bluefruit LE is not working

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Do you have a 32u4 or an M0?

Desjul20

Post by Desjul20 »

I have a 32u4

adafruit_support_mike

Try loading a sketch that uses Serial.print(). Can you get the microcontroller to talk to the Arduino IDE's Serial Monitor?

Desjul20

Post by Desjul20 »

There's no LED lights blinking except for the Bluetooth light. I can't see the port through Arduino's IDE Serial Monitor since the port is not there. The code I used is

Code: Select all

void setup() {
  // initialize serial communication at 9600 bits per second:
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  Serial.println("Hi");
  delay(100);        // delay in between reads for stability
}

adafruit_support_mike

To confirm, you can program the Feather through the USB connection, but can't get a Serial connection after it's programmed. Is that correct?

Desjul20

Post by Desjul20 »

Yes but I uploaded the code by double clicking the reset button since the normal port is not showing.

adafruit_support_mike

That probably means your computer has too many old/unused connection interfaces.

When a USB device is connected to a USB host, the host asks for a data packet that describes the device, the kinds of connections it can make, and what drivers to use to handle the communication. That takes time, so all current operating systems save the information so they can set the connection up faster the next time they see that device make a connection.

That's fine, but sometimes the OS sees each new connection from a microcontroller as a new device. The OS can end up with so many saved configurations that it doesn't know which one to use.

This tutorial shows how to find and remove hidden COM ports in Windows:

https://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-find-hidden-com-ports

On a Mac, the connections show up as devices in the Network pane under System Preferences.

Desjul20

Post by Desjul20 »

It doesn’t seem to work, the only hidden port is the boot loader. Not sure if the code runs that I uploaded since no led is blinking except for the Bluetooth module.

adafruit_support_mike

In that case I have no idea what's happening. I don't know why the computer would be able to communicate through the Serial interface without showing it as an available port.

Desjul20

Post by Desjul20 »

It doesn’t communicate to the serial port, I can upload code by double clicking the reset button. The only port available is the boot loader port. I don’t think the serial port on the board is sending at all.

adafruit_support_mike

I had the connections backwards, but the idea is the same. If it's possible to upload code, it should also be possible to make a Serial connection. It's the same hardware using the same protocol in both cases.

Desjul20

Post by Desjul20 »

So new things I found. The feather is going under the USB devices category in device manager. I tried resetting the ports through registry and it worked for a second. Another interesting thing is when I tried another computer, it showed normally.

adafruit_support_mike

That puts suspicion on the computer that doesn't recognize the Feather.

Check to see if you have a lot of unused COM ports, and if so, try deleting them:

https://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-find-hidden-com-ports

Desjul20

Post by Desjul20 »

The original solution didn't work but it helped me to find the solution to fix it. Instead of deleting the COM ports. I deleted Feather 32u4 in the USB devices (and the driver included by check marking the box) and it worked! It shows as a COM port and my code for Serial communication is working. Thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”