Microcontrollers and bootloader help

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CapArcona

Microcontrollers and bootloader help

Post by CapArcona »

So I've been very successfully prototyping on a QT Py using the ATSAMD21E chip, and now I want to design my own circuit board and have it printed for me. This will improve the functionality I have implemented. I am entirely new to electronics, so forgive my ignorance.

The problem is, I am looking at using JLCPCB (I know they have a rough reputation, but they mount components which is a big deal for me) and they offer only an ATSAMD21G chip. While it's the same family, it has more pins and all the comparable digital and analog pins are at different locations.

1. Will this mess with the bootloader and/or memory locations?
2. Am I able to simply hot-swap the G in place of the E?
3. Should I just solder on my own E after the board is made to get around this? (it's very tiny, I lack 5 fingers, this is an important consideration)
4. Does JLC have something in place to let me source my own IC and they will put it on? (I will try to answer this for myself)

At some point in the future I may rewrite the bootloader but I don't know any programming beyond the minimal Circuit Python I have learned, so this is not currently an option.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Microcontrollers and bootloader help

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

CapArcona wrote:2. Am I able to simply hot-swap the G in place of the E?
No. Different variants of the chip connect peripherals like I2C, SPI, the analog input and output, etc, to different pins.
CapArcona wrote:4. Does JLC have something in place to let me source my own IC and they will put it on? (I will try to answer this for myself)
They should. Most assembly houses do. They can't afford to keep every part a potential customer might want.

Talk to their sales people and see what options are available.

CapArcona

Re: Microcontrollers and bootloader help

Post by CapArcona »

okay thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”