Pi Zero W HDMI Unresponsive

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
FruityAustin

Pi Zero W HDMI Unresponsive

Post by FruityAustin »

Hello! I have always loved Adafruit and have never had any issues with your products.

For some reason it seems that the HDMI port on this most recently ordered Pi Zero W is defective - my deduction is a HW fault.

I have tried some various recommendations on the web (like here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=34061). Most advice seems to recommend forcing compatibility mode, boosting the signal from the HDMI, and changing the group depending on if this is a monitor/tv and forcing compatibility mode on the port, but nothing seems to be working.

The monitor is a relatively new 2K Acer monitor. It works with other Raspberry Pi Zero's with no problem (and using the same cable). This one doesn't work out of the box, monitor does not detect a connection. Everything else on the board works (Serial, WiFi, etc).

Any suggestions for stuff to play around with I might have missed? I'm really thinking it is a HW fault, but I wanted to make this forum post in ordinance with the response I got from automated tech support email.

:/

Photos are attached. The bit of black residue is from electrical tape I put over the board to mark as defective.
Attachments
IMG_3236.jpg
IMG_3236.jpg (867.04 KiB) Viewed 165 times
IMG_3235.jpg
IMG_3235.jpg (911.5 KiB) Viewed 165 times

mikeysklar

Re: Pi Zero W HDMI Unresponsive

Post by mikeysklar »

We have had other reports recently of Pi Zero's with HDMI troubles.

I think we can review the /boot/config.txt settings you have tried.

Code: Select all

hdmi_safe=1
The boost setting can go up to 11 depending on your HDMI cable length (longer means larger value):

config_hdmi_boost=7
If you have already tried the above I would also recommend giving the EEPROM update a try:

sudo rpi-update

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”