40 pin LCD to HDMI connector

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SR1

40 pin LCD to HDMI connector

Post by SR1 »

Hi,

I have a Lenovo laptop, LCD screen of which connects through a 40 pin Edp cable to its motherboard. Unfortunately, the hardware design of Lenovo is faulty and Edp cable faces issues during screen adjustment at the screen hinges, which results in a flickering screen. However, when I connect an external screen to the laptop through HDMI cable, it works fine.

I was wondering, if there are LCD controllers available, through which I can bypass the direct connection of the my screen to it's motherboard. What I mean is, is there a 40 pin EDP cable to an HDMI connector board available that I can use externally to connect the screen and motherboard?

Thanks,
SR

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 40 pin LCD to HDMI connector

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hoo.. I’d lean toward saying it’s unlikely. The trouble is that you’d need to match the display’s protocol and pinout.

Our bare 40-pin displays speak the dot-clock protocol, and have a pinout that’s fairly common. Our TFP401 and RA8875 drivers take HDMI or SPI input respectively, and generate dot-clock output. Obviously we designed their connections to match the displays.

There are no standards for protocol or pinout though, and OEMs tend to organize the pinout however is most convenient for them.

If you can find a datasheet for the display, or a service manual, you might find the information you’ll need.

SR1

Post by SR1 »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. So I tried reaching out/calling the Lenovo company, and obviously they were of no help. I however, managed to get the replacement part for the LCD cable from them - https://encompass.com/item/11422471/Lenovo/5C10N67449/.

Again, I know very little on the subject so I don't know how much of help will it be. Do you think you would be able to understand my need based on this part (https://encompass.com/item/11422471/Lenovo/5C10N67449/) and help me chose the right product that I should buy?

Thanks,
SR

adafruit_support_mike

I don’t see any useful information there. That seems to be a connector cable, and doesn’t give any information about the signals that connect to it.

If the cable will meet your needs though, go for it.

If your main goal is to find a new driver for the display, the cable won’t help much. That’s one of the frustrating things about salvaged LCDs.. they could be awesome to use, but in most cases it takes a major reverse engineering project to figure them out.

SR1

Post by SR1 »

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I guess I am not clear with what I need. I am sharing you an YouTube video, where this guy connects an old screen to a desktop through a controller board. The controller board is what I need - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC6PWCKXg8U.

Thanks,
SR

adafruit_support_mike

The video glosses over the part where you find a control board that will work with a specific screen, and that’s the hard part.

He mentions the driver boards that list the displays they’ll work with, and that’s where you’ll have to search. If you’re lucky enough to find one that says “lcds from this brand/model laptop”, that will be great. You might also find a usable part number somewhere on the LCD after you pull it out, and can look for drivers that say they work with that ID.

I’m afraid there are no simple answers though. It takes research to find the right driver, if one exists.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”