Pico Voltage

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Eisotope

Pico Voltage

Post by Eisotope »

I ordered a R PI Pico and I am having a bit of a misunderstanding, I have read that the voltage of a Pico is 3.3v where as a computer outputs 5v. In order to use the Pico you must connect it to a computer and load the software onto it. Would a Pico be okay to use for a macro keyboard that is connected to a computer full time?

Thank you, I am trying to start into this world of electronics and have fun with it but it can be confusing at times!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Pico Voltage

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The processor itself operates at 3.3v. But the board is designed to be powered from a 5v USB port. There is an on-board voltage regulator that regulates the 5v down to 3.3v for the processor.

dastels

Post by dastels »

The Pico is quite happy being connected to a computer's USB port. The 5v from USB is converted to 3.3v to power the board. Note that anything connected to the GPIO pins needs to be 3.3v logic, not 5v.

As for using it for a macro pad, that's essentially what the Adafruit MacroPad RP2040 is. It is a dedicated circuit buit around the RP2040 chip and does use a Pico, but all the end result is the same.

For a macropad using a Pico, have a look at https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-pico-mec ... cuitpython.

Dave

Eisotope

Post by Eisotope »

Thank you much!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”